Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please sign petition to get Microsft to pull their finger out and support Skype

Please sign this petition, it's only a minute of your time. I would respectfully request that cynicism be avoided.

http://www.change.org/petitions/micr...linux-crashing

Nice idea, however I personally wish microsith a painful but quick death. If some of their "acquisitions" like Skype die, so be it.

In the mean time - I wish you good luck with your campaign.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01 View Post
      I would respectfully request that cynicism be avoided.
      Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      In the mean time - I wish you good luck with your campaign.
      Me too, wish you the best of luck. Please try to feel no cynicism in my response, I only think you're barking up the wrong tree.
      Last edited by rms; Jun 05, 2012, 07:11 PM.
      Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

A parallel comment: I have a Skype enabled phone that I hadn't used since I bought Ooma. I logged in after reading this post just to see if Skype still worked at all.

Since yesterday I have received six "spam" phone calls from telemarketers. It appears since MS took over Skype the security went into the toilet - just like with their OS! lol...

With Ooma and Google voice I personally have no need for Skype at all.

Please Read Me

Comment

Contrary to the assertion in the petition, the version of Skype in the repository works well on my Acer 7739. The calls to mobile and land lines works very well.

That said, I am moving to Google Hangout, Google Voice and their Google's Internet Phone service, where calls to mobile and land lines work very well and cost the same or less. I am putting off buying a smartphone until Google makes its plans clear this fall.

Also, since Snowhog clued me in on TeamViewer, Skype's desktop sharing is now no longer an asset for my purposes.

So, in the long run, I don't care what Microsoft does with Skype.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Contrary to the assertion in the petition, the version of Skype in the repository works well on my Acer 7739. The calls to mobile and land lines works very well.

That said, I am moving to Google Hangout, Google Voice and their Google's Internet Phone service, where calls to mobile and land lines work very well and cost the same or less. I am putting off buying a smartphone until Google makes its plans clear this fall.

Also, since Snowhog clued me in on TeamViewer, Skype's desktop sharing is now no longer an asset for my purposes.

So, in the long run, I don't care what Microsoft does with Skype.
            So you never get the Skype crashing several times before working or have to turn up the volume on USB mikes? Nobody really cares in the very long term what happens to Skype as there are alternatives in the pipeline but it is still the most used app of its kind in the world and that won't change for a good while yet.
            Last edited by tomp01; Jun 13, 2012, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01 View Post
              So you never get the Skype crashing several times before working or have to turn up the volume on USB mikes? Nobody really cares in the very long term what happens to Skype as there are alternatives in the pipeline but it is still the most used app of its kind in the world and that won't change for a good while yet.
              Skype doesn't crash on me, but I am using an internal mic on some occasions and a headset on others.

There are alternatives. Blink, Ekiga, Google Hangout and Voice, and several others. Blink is probably the best for phone and phone conferences because of the voice quality and the ability to add & remove people in a conference, and take conversations private while the conference continues, then join back in. Blink doesn't offer video in the Linux version but does so on the Windows version.

IMO, only Google's products can compete, and I like the fact that they are fairly well integrated on the browser, so they can be used from any computer if the Voice & Video plugins are installed. But, to each their own.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Skype doesn't crash on me, but I am using an internal mic on some occasions and a headset on others.

There are alternatives. Blink, Ekiga, Google Hangout and Voice, and several others. Blink is probably the best for phone and phone conferences because of the voice quality and the ability to add & remove people in a conference, and take conversations private while the conference continues, then join back in. Blink doesn't offer video in the Linux version but does so on the Windows version.

IMO, only Google's products can compete, and I like the fact that they are fairly well integrated on the browser, so they can be used from any computer if the Voice & Video plugins are installed. But, to each their own.
                I talk to people all over the world and Skype is still the number one. It also has very cheap price plans which can be purchased for countries that you call frequently. I also use it on my Galaxy S2, I use Viber as well but that's only available for mobile phones!!

Comment

Hmm, don't think I will use Skype any more, not only is it not supported but Microsoft now wants to shove advertising down our throats through it.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                    Hmm, don't think I will use Skype any more, not only is it not supported but Microsoft now wants to shove advertising down our throats through it.
                    WARNING! Don't read that article unless you have a strong desire for being assaulted by language like "have meaningful conversations about brands in a highly engaging environment" and "see content that could spark additional topics of conversation that are relevant to Skype users and highlight unique and local brand experiences." That is the stupidest marketing gobbledygook that I ever seen in my life. I think I'm going to throw up.

But, to each their own.
                    Email offers us SMTP, IMAP, and POP -- interoperable standards that allow people choice of servers and clients. Oh, if only there existed an interoperable standard for Internet presence and instant messaging. Oh, wait, there is one. But, alas, popular deployments are saddled with interoperability issues, and it lacks an automatic server-to-server discovery mechanism. An easy solution to this would be a new DNS record type. We have MX records that indicate the name of the mail exchanger for a domain. Why not create a similar kind of record for DNS, to help a chatter on one server in one domian find a chatter on another server in another domain? Oh wait, there is!

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                      Just when everybody had given up ever seeing a non beta version of Skype, they have only gone and released Skype 4. There has been no publicity even on the Linux Skype blog, anyway I've downloaded it and it seems to work fine. Maybe there is a God after all??

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/06/skype-for-linux-loses-beta-tag-bumps-to-4-0?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campai gn=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29&utm_content=Fac eBook

Comment

Just tried it and it's looking pretty good, frankly I'm amazed!!

Comment

Working...
                        X