This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Card Upgrade Advice

I'd like to upgrade the video cards in my aging computer network at the house, but I'm on a limited budget.

I'm hoping I can get a decent card for my computer, then pull the current one and place it in the wife's, and so on.

Someday soon I want to upgrade my MB/CPU, so whatever card I buy now I'd like to work in that future upgrade.

For you hardware genius out there, I posted the specs of the three computers, and I'd like your opinion for a smart video card upgrade.

I have about $100 to spend on the project.

All things being equal, I'd prefer something from Nvidia. I've had better luck getting those cards to work with Kubuntu.

Thanks!!

My Computer

Motherboard – P5KPL-CM
    CPU - Intel Pentium Dual Core (E5300) @2.60GHz
    RAM – 2 x 2GB DDR2-800
    Slots – 1 x PCI Express x16 slot
    1 x PCI Express x1 slot
    2 x PCI slots
    Current Video Card – GeForce 8600 GT 512MB (PCI Express x16)

Wife's Computer

HP Compaq dc5750
    CPU – AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 2.10 GHz
    3GB RAM (DDR-2)
    Slots - 2x PCI expansion slot

PCI Express x1 expansion slot

PCI Express x16 expansion slot

Current Video Card – GeForce 9400GT 512MB (PCI Express x16)

Kid's computer

Motherboard – MSI MS-7093
    CPU – AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz
    RAM – 1.5GB DDR (3x512)
    Slots - 1 x PCI Express x16 slot
    3 x PCI slots
    Current Video Card – GeForce 7300 SE 256MB ( PCI Express x16)

Since you are on a limited budget, what is it that you can't do with your current video setup that you need/want to do?

Comment

Scotty:

That card doesn't look that bad. I'll second VW72's comments. What do you need that your current card isn't giving you?

Someday soon I want to upgrade my MB/CPU, so whatever card I buy now I'd like to work in that future upgrade.
      I would suggest you put your money for that new card in the bank, and then buy it with the new mobo. You'll get a better match that way. Technology changes too fast.

Frank.
      Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

The new Ivy Bridge graphics appears to be shaping up nicely, according the reports I've read. It seems that the need for separate graphics cards is disappearing, except for specialized cases like gaming and CAD work.

Comment

Working...
        X