• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Bespin compilation - there are no required packages in repository

I want to compile Bespin and it requires:

"In order to compile you'll need at least
    - A c++ compiler, GCC is strongly suggested
    - Qt4.3 modules Core, Gui (and DBus on supporting systems) on OSX, Windows or X11 (alphabetical order...)"
    Can anyone tell me what would be a specific name of the package in Kubuntu 12.04 for this. I search in Moun and nothing seems to match this one.
    I found gcc (GNU compiler) but I don't know if c++ is still required.
    --------------------
    libXRender - missing one
    (XRender is not really required, but a little more performant and you definitivey want it in combination with the KWin deco) - I want KWin deco
    ---------
    libplasma [only if this isn't included in kdebase...] - yes, there is libplasma
    libplasma-dev [...resp. kdebase-dev anyway] - missing one

Can you tell me if all of them are necessarry and if other can replace them? Please give exact package names.

Bespin download:
    http://cloudcity.sourceforge.net/download.php

No need to compile it yourself... You can obtain Bespin from the KDE Goodies PPA.

Comment

The first package to install is called build-essential and cmake . This pulls in all the base things you need to compile like the proper gcc, etc.
      Then I think installing the package kdelibs5-dev should pull in all or at least most of the remaining libs you need.
      If it doesn't, the error messages you get will point the way to what is missing. Post any error messages you get and we can point you in the right direction - I am sure I have missed something that the above packages might not provide.

There are install instructions with more detail in the source tarball that may help, the only real problem is simply different types of Linux distros have slightly differing package names, which can make it a trial an error thing when you are learning to compile. However, once you see a few error messages, it becomes a lot easier to determine what you may need.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        No need to compile it yourself... You can obtain Bespin from the KDE Goodies PPA.
        lol, that's no fun

Comment

Example

Removed from the repos:
          - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...in/+bug/770966
          - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric...00126-0ubuntu6

DIY

Source:
          Code:
          svn co https://cloudcity.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cloudcity
          A cloudcity/COPYING.LIB
          Checked out revision 1504.
          There is a subdir: cloudcity.

Build-Depends

- build-essential
          - cmake
          - kde-workspace-dev
          - libxrender-dev
          - libxext-dev

Based: kde-style-bespin 0.1~svn100126-0ubuntu6 (last ubuntu version).

Compiling

The konsole is in /cloudcity

1)
          Code:
          mkdir -p builddir
          2)
          Code:
          cd builddir && cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr
          Output:
          -- The C compiler identification is GNU
          -- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
          -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
          -- INFO: XRender was found - kwin deco & FX via GPU available!
          -- KWin headers found
          -- Configuring done
          -- Generating done
          -- Build files have been written to: /media/sda3/Bespin/cloudcity/builddir
          3)
          Code:
          make
          Scanning dependencies of target QtBespin
          [ 1%] Building CXX object blib/CMakeFiles/QtBespin.dir/colors.o
          Linking CXX shared module ../lib/plasma_applet_xbar.so
          [100%] Built target plasma_applet_xbar
          4)
          Code:
          sudo make install
          Install the project...
          -- Install configuration: "RelWithDebInfo"
          -- Installing: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/plugins/styles/libbespin.so
          -- Removed runtime path from "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/plugins/styles/libbespin.so"
          -- Installing: /usr/share/kde4/apps/kstyle/themes/bespin.themerc
          -- Installing: /usr/lib/libQtBespin.so
          -- Installing: /usr/bin/bespin
          -- Installing: /usr/lib/kde4/kstyle_bespin_config.so
          -- Installing: /usr/lib/kde4/kwin3_bespin.so
          -- Removed runtime path from "/usr/lib/kde4/kwin3_bespin.so"
          -- Installing: /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/bespin.desktop
          -- Installing: /usr/lib/kde4/kwin_bespin_config.so
          -- Installing: /usr/lib/kde4/plasma_applet_xbar.so
          -- Installing: /usr/share/kde4/services/plasma-applet-xbar.desktop
          5) System Settings ...click...click

This was tried with the Kubuntu 11.10 & 12.04.

Last edited by OneLine; May 18, 2012, 02:42 PM.
          Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
          - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Background on Bespin (pre. Baghira) and developer, Thomas Luebking

The announcing of Bespin...

http://cloudcity.sourceforge.net/

With some additional remarks,

http://cloudcity.sourceforge.net/bespinvsoxygen.php

Enjoy.
            Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Thanks for this PPA. It has some nice stuff but I wanted to compile myself to have the latest release.

@OneLine
              Thank you for detailed instruction. I managed to compile it.

@bra|10n
              While you are here can you tell me why icon options are inactive and why I can't change it. Is it a compilation issue or some other settings interfering here?
              http://img22.otofotki.pl/obrazki/gm207_Bespin-icons.png

Comment

Icons:
                ...icon options are inactive and why I can't change it. Is it a compilation issue or some other settings interfering here?
                The later:
                The button gradient.
                "None" is the default and behaves a bit different from all others.
                You cannot choose the icon variant or the unhovered look if this is a real gradient.
                Have you tried ?

Comment

You are right. It works now. And Bespin looks beautifully. Thank you.
                  I will mark post as solved when I configure it. Perhaps I will have some more questions. Not yet.

Comment

While my KDE apps looks good, gtk apps don't. See the example:

Everywhere I searched there is only one solution - set oxygen-gtk for gtk apps and I did it. But look at Evolution. It is all blue, which I set for main app color in KDE. But in Dolphin the part where files are looks different, has lighter colors. Looks like gtk apps use different settings. I know that I can use Kmail but this is only example for colors. I need solution for colors not for mail.
                    Is there any chance of correcting it. Would gnome-color-chooser help? Is it possibe to have separate settings for colors for KDE and GTK apps that would not conflict or interact?

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
                      Thanks for this PPA. It has some nice stuff but I wanted to compile myself to have the latest release.
                      šumski's PPA automatically pulls in new builds and compiles them. You can examine the recipie, if you'd like, and the trunk. You'll see it's tracking the updates.

While my KDE apps looks good, gtk apps don't... set oxygen-gtk for gtk apps and I did it. But look at Evolution. It is all blue, which I set for main app color in KDE. But in Dolphin the part where files are looks different, has lighter colors...
                      My suspicion is that oxygen-gtk is unable to fully duplicate all of Bespin's appearance settings.

Comment

My suspicion is that oxygen-gtk is unable to fully duplicate all of Bespin's appearance settings.
                        I see. Can you tell me if I can install some other gtk styes just to check if anything looks better or where in KDE I can find folder where this gtk styles are stored, preferably in /home?

Comment

I'm sorry, that isn't something I've spent any time looking for, as I am happy with Oxygen and oxygen-gtk. Perhaps others here at KFN might have suggestions for alternate Gtk themes.

Comment

While my KDE apps looks good, gtk apps don't. See the example:

Everywhere I searched there is only one solution - set oxygen-gtk for gtk apps and I did it. But look at Evolution. It is all blue, which I set for main app color in KDE. But in Dolphin the part where files are looks different, has lighter colors. Looks like gtk apps use different settings. I know that I can use Kmail but this is only example for colors. I need solution for colors not for mail.
                            You have the window background or main app colour as you refer to it set to blue and that's exactly what's being displayed in your screenshots.

The dolphin window is made up of window background (blue), view background (white) and alternate background (pale hue).

Evolution is also displaying the colours you have chosen, namely blue. If your issue is with the main window of evolution showing blue/alternate blue and different to the look of dolphin then I'm afraid this cannot be altered as evolution 'inherits' these colours 'automagically ' from the main window colour.

Is there any chance of correcting it.
                            No.

Would gnome-color-chooser help?
                            No.

Is it possibe to have separate settings for colors for KDE and GTK apps that would not conflict or interact?
                            No. My understanding is Bespin would overide such settings anyhow. And I don't believe there is an option within Bespin to 'blacklist' specific app's either.
                            Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

GTK1, GTK2, GTK3... vs Qt3, Qt4, (Qt5),...

From the archlinux

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...K_Applications
                              Qt and GTK+ based programs both use a different widget toolkit to render the graphical user interface. Each come with different themes, styles and icon sets by default, among other things, so the "look and feel" differ significantly...

Tools

QtCurve (KDE4, KDE3, & Gtk2 Theme)
                              http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=40492
                              QtCurve-GTK3?

...Craig has already stated that he's not interested in doing a GTK3 port (since he no longer uses QtCurve himself)....
                              gtk-kde4
                              http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=74689
                              - There is no GTK3 port at the moment

kde-gtk-config
                              Configuration dialog to adapt GTK applications appearance to your taste under KDE.
                              https://launchpad.net/kde-gtk-config
                              https://projects.kde.org/projects/pl...kde-gtk-config

PPA package search: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas
                              => A PPA: https://launchpad.net/~hrvojes/+archive/kde-goodies
                              Last edited by OneLine; May 20, 2012, 06:04 AM.
                              Have you tried ?

Comment

Working...
                              X