Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the fonts of 12.04 beta?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] What happened to the fonts of 12.04 beta?

Hello... As a purist, I decided to do a fresh install of Kubuntu 12.04, just after it was released. Before, I was using 12.04 beta, along with other OS's I was tinkering with, and just decided to just stick with this one...

The install worked fine, But I noticed something missing that I loved in the beta version - these very cool "Ubuntu Medium" fonts that were very space efficient! I checked if I could find them in the repositories, but couldn't find them. So my question is where can I find them? Is there a ppa somewhere, or were they experimental from the start? After all, nice typography is a great thing to have in a distro like this...

I'm presuming your referring to the Ubuntu font set.
    If so check that you have them selected/and or they are installed.

If the Ubuntu font does not appear in the list, SystemSettings> FontManagement then you can install them with;

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ttf-ubuntu-font-family
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

I did this, and it said I was on the most recent version. My computer had the regular fonts installed and used by default. However the settings for "Ubuntu Medium" in the font family weren't there on this fresh install, while they were there as the default font in 12.04 beta. It was the medium version of the fonts that I thought were great - and I wondered where to get the medium version. They aren't there now...

Comment

Understood
        Do you have a beta install disc?
        You could boot into it and copy the medium-weight font to a usb for instance.
        Boot back into 12.04 LTS and simply click on the font file and install (System-Wide).

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Ack! I lost both the ISO and erased the flash disk I used to install the beta version . And your solution was the best solution to think of too! What a problem I made!

Comment

You can download them here:
            http://font.ubuntu.com/

and then install them via the System Settings->Font Management

Edit: Just tried it, they are in the zip file you can download from that site and they install just fine...
            Last edited by tnorris; Apr 26, 2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the option. Usually when trying distributions, I do use that web page to install those same fonts. Unfortunately, during those times, they didn't have the medium version along them. But downloading them now, they do have the medium font! Installation was easy. Yay !

Comment

This particular font-weight was dropped in previous updates of 12.04 with good reason.
                Notice that after installing it you no longer have the ability to set other Ubuntu font weights, eg. italic.

I appreciate this is your particular preference but should you wish to change Ubuntu weight in the future, you will need to delete 'Medium' from your system.

Comment

Can you be more specific about what you mean? I currently have them installed and I don't notice any issue w/ the other ubuntu fonts.

Comment

Originally posted by tnorris View Post
                    Can you be more specific about what you mean? I currently have them installed and I don't notice any issue w/ the other ubuntu fonts.
                    Absolutely.
                    Set you desktop to use Ubuntu Light-Italic for instance, then Ctr-Alt-Backspace or logout and back in again and check what font is being used on your desktop.

Comment

Usually, when medium is installed, none of the other fonts will work. Yes, they'll appear in lists, but you can't actually make them work in, for example, System Settings. Some history...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-fo...ly/+bug/744812
                      https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...tu-medium-font

Comment

Ah, so the reason it was left out because of a bug... I didn't know that. True, that font was my own personal preference, but if I knew why the font was left out for the reasons you guys say, I'd surely acknowledge it. Sorry about my postings going overboard about it...

Comment

Working...
                        X