This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First problem with DuckDuckGo

I have absolutely no clue about what happened, but I use DuckDuckGo as a search engine "much of the time". I favourite bookmark in the panel at the top of FF for Kubuntu forums. I used it a couple of times this morning. Just about ten minutes ago, when I clicked the link for the forums I get REDIRECTED to SuddenLink(it really is their page) and there are a bunch of "suggested links" for Kubuntu forums.

Here is the URL to where I was re-directed, not the original but a third attempt:

www.kubuntuforums.net search.php do getnew contenttype vBForum Post

Here is another re-direct link.

http://search.suddenlink.net/index.p...BForum_Post&r=

Now, if I go through Google I get the normal results for typing in Kubu Forums, and I can make a favourite in the bar and will get to the forums by clicking it.

But....although I was logged in permanently, I am now logged out and have to re-enter login etc.

This is probably a snafu at the DuckDuckGo site, but....it is CURIOUS that the re-direct is to my CABLE ISP.... lol

I'm going to fiddle with clearing cookies etc. but if anyone has a similar occurance or suggestions please post them.

woodsmoke

DuckDuckGo is not giving me any problems.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I am now using startpage.com. Check them out.
      Startpage's position:

You have a right to privacy.
      Your search data should never fall into the wrong hands.
      The only real solution is quickly deleting your data or not storing them to begin with.
      Since January 2009 we do not record our users' IP addresses anymore.
      We are the first and only search engine to do so.
      Our initiative is receiving an overwhelmingly positive response!
      Startpage will wholeheartedly continue on its mission to offer you great search results in the best possible privacy!
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        it is CURIOUS that the re-direct is to my CABLE ISP.... lol
        This makes me wonder if you experienced a momentary DNS glitch, and www.kubuntuforums.net failed to resolve properly. Many ISPs "helpfully" redirect NXDOMAINs to their own in-house (or contracted) dodgy search engines. Such appears to be the purpose of Suddenlink (which is powered by Yahoo).

Comment

I too, am using Startpage as my default search engine. So far, no problems.

Comment

Hi SR
            I would think that what you suggest was, indeed the situation.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
            X