Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the pros: Which is easier to install on? Desktops or laptops?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the pros: Which is easier to install on? Desktops or laptops?

I have installed Kubuntu on two laptop computers and had no issues whatsoever with the OS, however I get one desktop install and working it out has been painful. Can the OS can detect which model of laptop and get the drivers from the Internet during installation or do desktop do the same thing by looking at the BIOS and the deives/ports themselves?
    Last edited by jameslloyd; Apr 07, 2012, 08:38 AM.
    Friends don't let friends use Vista with Internet Explorer.

As part of the boot process, Kubuntu (and all Ubuntu variants), detect what hardware is in the machine and try and load the appropriate kernel modules. Since the modules need to be compiled for the kernel, it's not quite as simple as downloading them from the internet. However, Ubuntu includes just about every kernel module there is in their kernels, which is why it is usually rated very high on hardware compatibility (although this also makes for larger slower kernels).

What kind of problems have you been having on the desktop and what are the specs of it?

Comment

My issue is right here.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...uck-in-640x480
      Friends don't let friends use Vista with Internet Explorer.

Comment

It's not that simple of an answer. Generally, laptops have compatible hardware and in my experience are usually new(ish) whereas a a desktop is often a cobbled together connection of pieces and therefore likely to be more trouble.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X