Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woodsmoke's quick and dirty "activity" mashup.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few days ago I decided to see whether I could adapt to Activities.

... go ahead, I shall wait as some of you will vent your spleen thusly: "No! Computers always adapt to humans, not the other way around!" ...

Mostly, my recent discovery of [Meta]+[Tab] as Activity switcher accelerated my desire to learn. That, and a protracted fight with my Nook Color as I try to find a way to keep the newest 1.4.2 version rooted and customized without factory-resetting itself. So while I fuss with that, I needed an easy-to-use reader. I have set up my first Activity! It keeps Calibre reader open, to my current book, has a completely black background, and the analog clock widget in the upper right corner.

So virtual desktops are out, Activities are in, and we'll see how it goes.

Comment

I finally understand.

It really was something of a three pipe problem.

woodhasattainedenlightenmentsmoke

(with apologies to the enlightenment desktop! )

Comment

I'm afraid I'm in the Luddites corner on this. When I first started using Kubuntu, I spent an inordinate time trying to figure out how to set up and use virtual desktops. In my stumblings, I had the same experiences with activities woodsmoke was referring to, namely frozen screens, reinstallations, ect. I finally figured out virtual desktops. Having spent most of my time with dinosaur OS, I had no experience with them, but now I'm addicted. I found the "activities" set up too nonintuitive and difficult to use.
        I use 4 desktops now, setup as a general, games, utilities and office applications. A couple of questions though, is there an upper limit to how many you can set up? Also, in the desktop cube, can one setup a background wallpaper on that screen?

thanx,
        capt-zero

Comment

Do you mean a separate wallpaper for each virtual desktop?

If you go into System Settings virtual desktop settings, if you check the box for "independent widget set" or something similar, that will allow that.

If you mean the graphic used on the remaining two sides of the cube, that one I haven't figured out but it must be possible.

Sent from my phone

Comment

Yes, I still plan on doing more video on activities, but it seems half my problems may have been the hard drive on my laptop, which just died

Sent from my phone

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
              Also, in the desktop cube, can one setup a background wallpaper on that screen?
              thanx,
              capt-zero
              yes.......go to system settings>desktop effects>click the all effects tab >scrole down to desktop cube > click the wrench>on the basic tab theirs a section "background" there you will find wallpaper

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
                ..... I finally figured out virtual desktops. ... now I'm addicted. I found the "activities" set up too nonintuitive and difficult to use.
                I use 4 desktops now, setup as a general, games, utilities and office applications. A couple of questions though, is there an upper limit to how many you can set up? Also, in the desktop cube, can one setup a background wallpaper on that screen?
                Dittos. When I was actively programming I used to use four desktops. Now I set up only two, and rarely go to the second one. I've seen vinny and others setup the desktop cube and put wallpaper in the background, so it is (was?) possible, but I don't know how to do it.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

claydoh,

Actually, I meant the background behind the cube. It WOULD be nice to change the top and bottom of it also, though.

thanx,
                  capt-zero

Comment

vinnywright,

Thanks, I'll check it out.

capt-zero

Comment

Working...
                    X