This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on ARM

First of all, I am new to this forum even though I have been using Kubuntu for years. I also noticed that Cananical dropped the support for Kubuntu, which I actually view as a good thing since Kubuntu development can be totally free of Cananical influence.

I have been working (at spare time) on running Plasma Active on my Pandaboard. I chose to use Kubuntu simply because it is Debian based and linaro.org. I did see there is a Kubuntu-Active in launchpad but doesn't seem to be active now and it didn't have ARM build either. Because of no response of my email to the team, I decided to do my own. I was able to run PA on Pandaboard a couple of months ago but I didn't how to share it with others because PPA didn't't support ARM build. Until a few days ago, I saw a request in PA list asking for PA Kubuntu repo then I feel that it is better to share the result with more people sooner than later.

I planned to do PA build for armhf soon but this time I would like to know first if anyone on Kubuntu team happen to be doing similar thing or at least is interested.

I am not familar with Kubuntu build infrastructure and not sure how ports.ubuntu.com repos is being built, which is the only official repo which has arm package. Does Kubuntu team use this repo too? Is there a way to do ARM packaging in PPA?

Originally posted by ezjd View Post
    First of all, I am new to this forum even though I have been using Kubuntu for years. I also noticed that Cananical dropped the support for Kubuntu, which I actually view as a good thing since Kubuntu development can be totally free of Cananical influence.
    Now that is a little misleading, as Kubuntu has basically lost the one paid person working on it.

I have been working (at spare time) on running Plasma Active on my Pandaboard. I chose to use Kubuntu simply because it is Debian based and linaro.org. I did see there is a Kubuntu-Active in launchpad but doesn't seem to be active now and it didn't have ARM build either. Because of no response of my email to the team, I decided to do my own. I was able to run PA on Pandaboard a couple of months ago but I didn't how to share it with others because PPA didn't't support ARM build. Until a few days ago, I saw a request in PA list asking for PA Kubuntu repo then I feel that it is better to share the result with more people sooner than later.

I planned to do PA build for armhf soon but this time I would like to know first if anyone on Kubuntu team happen to be doing similar thing or at least is interested.

I am not familar with Kubuntu build infrastructure and not sure how ports.ubuntu.com repos is being built, which is the only official repo which has arm package. Does Kubuntu team use this repo too? Is there a way to do ARM packaging in PPA?
    I do suggest jumping onto irc and asking questions in #kubuntu-devel, there are am number of people who work on arm stuff , they would know first hand what and were you might need to go and do. Much like Kubuntu itself, these arm efforts are volunteer efforts, and I do not know if they can build packages on a ppa, but I do see some arm PA packages there.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Now that is a little misleading, as Kubuntu has basically lost the one paid person working on it. .
      Yes, I didn't express me clearly.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      I do suggest jumping onto irc and asking questions in #kubuntu-devel, there are am number of people who work on arm stuff , they would know first hand what and were you might need to go and do. Much like Kubuntu itself, these arm efforts are volunteer efforts, and I do not know if they can build packages on a ppa, but I do see some arm PA packages there.
      Hanging aroung IRC is hard to me, but I will try.
      BTW, where can I find ARM PA pkg? And by any chance, can I email someone working on this?

Comment

the kubuntu-devel mailing list is where you can email the most people but most of them hang out in irc a LOT so it it s the best place to talk to them

Hmmm i cant seem to find where I saw them, my apologies. I know launchpad cant build them, but perhaps prebuilt packages be upoaded?

I will keep looking, I probably saw a non-ppa launchpad page perhaps.

best to talk to the dev team

Comment

Working...
        X