X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

comparison: Strigi and Recoll.

Hi
    It is probable that most gentle readers will not construe this post as to mean that I am not going to use Nepomuk/Strigi/Kontact/KDE/etc.

However, to not put too fine a point on it, I am being buried in a document management problem at the college. In addition to that, a nested problem within that has reared it's ugly head; and it is that of finding a term INSIDE a document.

So, I have had to find a search app that will find a term within a document and here are my comments re that situation.

a) Strigi does a great job searching for titles of documents, images, etc. However, it will not, as far as I have been able to determine, return a search for a term INSIDE a document.

b) Recoll, which is in the repos, will, indeed, search, and return a term within a document. It will also search within spreadsheets, although I have not tested that and probably will not use the function.

c) Strigi takes a mind numbing amount of time to do an index of a large number of items, and, although it takes a while, Recoll takes a lot less time(as of this writing, that may change in the future).

EDIT: after the initial index, if one has not put a lot of new data into the system, then the subsequent indexe times for Strigi are much shorter. END EDIT.

For the casual/new reader: There is a "grand overarching goal" for the whole Strigi/Nepomuk/KDE/Kontact/Koffice/etc. situation and that is, quite simply, a grand unified system. "It" is not there yet, but amazing strides have been made in just the past short while, and I think that the wait, and fiddling with "it", will be well worth the wait/effort.

I write the above in the interests of the developers who need many more "eyes on" the apps to make bug reports etc. We can all help in that endeavour.

Note 1: the CLI people will, I am sure, post that grep, and other such, work just fine why not do them? Ummmm I'm not as smart as them, I do GUI!

Note 2: here is a nicely done listing of the top runners in desktop search as of 2010.

If anyone has particular questions I will be glad to answer them as well as my limited experience can do so.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 03, 2012, 04:28 PM.

Well, slap me up sidda head!

I had just never noticed that strigi when it indexes, takes a LONG time that first time but the times are much shorter the next times. I manually start strigi nowadays and go and get coffee but didn't today, other things were going on and I glanced at it and it was done in a few minutes.

So....the complaint that "it takes a long time" is correct, and I was guilty of it myself, but then the follow on comment, that the NEXT time it indexes takes a much shorter time.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
    X