X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMix Volume-per-Application issue

Hey everyone,

I broke Kmix, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and now it doesn't show volume-per-application.

Is there a reason why, and what do I need to do to restore this functionality?

Thanks!

Try pavucontrol. It's the centralized pulseaudio control tool.

Comment

Actually, pulseaudio seemed to be causing the problem.

I have solved this problem by completely removing pulseaudio, and deleting it's folder aswell. I will leave my situation and my solution here, because It's irritatingly common to search for a solution, only to have the user solve it and never post on the forums again.

Using Kubuntu 11.10, which comes standard with KMix, I also decided to install Pulse Audio (pavucontrol). I messed around with Pulse audio, eventually breaking my microphone. I uninstalled it, which didn't fix the problem. I re-installed KMix, causing my microphone to function, but losing per-application volume control functionality.

I attempted another reinstall of pulse audio, but it refused to start-up, giving me an error about not being able to connect. I re-installed Alsa, which did nothing.

I uninstalled pulse audio, deleted the hidden pulse audio and it's folders sub folders, and BINGO, all the functionality returned.

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks lo_koraco for the recommendation, but I'll wait until I'm no longer hesitant about messing up my audio settings again until I try pulse audio again.

Comment

Originally posted by DCurro View Post
        I also decided to install Pulse Audio (pavucontrol).
        Just to clarify, did you install pulseaudio, or pavucontrol? pulseaudio should already be install on kubuntu, pavucontrol is a gnome util to control pulseaudio

As far as I know, per application volumes is part of pulseaudio, not alsa (I could be wrong here, its just something I noticed show up after starting to use pulseaudio).

Originally posted by DCurro View Post
        ...deleted the hidden pulse audio and it's folders sub folders, and BINGO, all the functionality returned.
        Are you sure that deleting the .pulse configs didn't just cure the problem (as it would reset pulseaudio to its default settings, as it was when kubuntu was installed).

Also, the veromix widget is a pulseaudio aware replacement for kmix (and kde alternitive to pavucontrol) that might be worth trying.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
          As far as I know, per application volumes is part of pulseaudio, not alsa (I could be wrong here, its just something I noticed show up after starting to use pulseaudio).
          That's correct.

PulseAudio's wiki has a page specifically for KDE, it has some useful tips for helping to resolve common problems.

Comment

Working...
          X