Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you set up two computers to sync?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you set up two computers to sync?

My main desktop I use is a dual boot. I have shared the Music directory so The Wife can play tunes on her computer.

Because it's dual boot, I sometimes switch over to Windows to play games, and unknowingly cut off her music stream.

So I dug enough parts out of the closet to build a box just for music, that will be on 24/7.

My desire is to sync the contents of my music directory to this new computer whenever I add/change/delete files.

I spent the afternoon looking for good Linux-Window sync programs, and didn't really find what I liked.

What I did find was several good ways to sync between two linux boxes.

So my question to everybody is, what program would you use to to the syncing?

Also, the main desktop will be the primary source of music, so maybe "sync" is the wrong word. Basically whatever I do on the main desktop I want mirrored on the 24/7 computer. I have no plans at this point to add files to the 24/7 computer and have it mirror back to the main desktop. Keep it strictly one-way.

This is an older computer, with an AMD Athlon XP (1500) CPU, 500 GB hard drive (sata), and 1Gb of RAM. I'm thinking Kubuntu 11.10 would be too much for it, but it should run Xubuntu, unless somebody has a better idea?

Re: How would you set up two computers to sync?

Simple.

Create a free account on DropBox, and register both the Linux and Windows computers with it. Drop your music files into your local dropbox folder and they will be uploaded to the dropbox account (5GB free). The app, KFilebox, running on the Kubuntu machine will download the files from the cloud into the dropbox folder on that box. Works fairly quickly. Delete a file from the dropbox folder, or move it to another folder, on either machine and it will be gone from the dropbox folder on both, and the cloud, in short order.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Excellent idea, but the music directory currently stands at 113GB.

Are you talking about using the 5Gb for changes after everything is copied over?

Comment

put all the music on teh music box , have it host nfs and samba shares to if windows client(s). then set your clients to mount either the nfs share or the samba share depending on the clients os.if you cant copy via an external drive you can make a simple share with r/w first so you can move the data.

to set up nfs you need to install the "nfs-kernel-server" package.then create a file /etc/exports that file will have your share info in it.

[code=example /etc/exports]
        media/docs/chris/ 192.168.0.101(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
        [/code]
        the above share the dir /media/docs/chris to the ip with r/w and sync option.

[code=example nfs mount line(add to /etc/fstab)]
        192.168.0.100:/media/docs/chris /media/bkup nfs rw,hard,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,intr,noatime,user 0 0[/code] above mounts the remote nfs share from serverip:/path -> local path.

if you set up something like that then when you boot your ~/Music will be mounted from the remote sever and changes will take place on the remote machine.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

113GB

Better go with sithlord48's plan!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

how did this whole thread turn in to double posts?
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

The double posting was a quirk of the data import process. We will be correct problems as time permits.

Comment

Working...
              X