Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

put a usb live linux on Archos 7 ? advice?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

put a usb live linux on Archos 7 ? advice?

A student appeared in my physics class with an Archos 7 inch tablet and said that if I could get a "Linux" on a usb stick, that I could try getting it to do what he heard was a thing that didn't get on the tablet but was in the memory.

I said that was a "live boot".

He has a mini to normal usb cable.

Here are the specs for software from the pdf about Archos from QVC.

Microsoft® Windows® 7, Vista, XP, or higher

Linux (with Mass Storage Device Support)

USB 2.0 interface

Soooooo if somebody could give me some advice, I don't know what I really need, I could try to maybe put a Unity distro on a usb stick and give the thing a try.

The other thing, about getting on the net, is that one needs access through a phone, which i do have in that I have an android, that has the mini usb port, so I guess that I could purchase a "cable" that would go from my android to the Archos and provide internet support. I do have a data plan and know the Verizon rep very well, and he could tell me if Verizon would squawk about trying it.

However, i could also get on at the college since it has wifi and the device has wifi.

The reason he bought the thing was the price, He got it in their introductory blowout price of something like a hundred and seventy bucks or something, price is now 259

Archos 7 inch display

so any advice as to distro, tricks about getting it on a usb stick, which I did before with I think Frugal or some such a long time ago?

woodsmoke

Re: put a usb live linux on Archos 7 ? advice?

its arm based so the choices are somewhat limited (but not anywhere near impossible)
    http://armdevices.net/2011/06/10/arc...m-os-and-more/

http://www.archos.com/support/suppor...try=us&lang=en

http://www.debian-archos.com/downloa...or-archos-gen8

As to tethering via usb, I an not sure if that is supported on the hardware side, though you could always do a wifi tether if your phone is rooted

Comment

Hi Claydoh,
      thank you very much for the links, I read them with interest.
      However, the discussion, as far as I can determine is the installation of the various OSs actually ON the hardware which I could not in any way do.

I was hoping that I could do an install on a usb stick and then, rather like putting the usb stick on a tower and having boot from usb that I could to that.

Ah well, at least the student was nice enough to offer.

thanks very much again.

woodsmoke

Comment

i got ms.sith one of them to use as an e-book reader(archos 70c).its a pretty cool device i wanted to flash some better software on to it but she told me not to mess with it. im not sure that it can boot from usb,but it can be put in a recovery mode that can be pushed images over usb or from the sd slot. you might be able to install (after rooting) another image on the device itself and if you make a back up of the inital rom you can reflash the other one later (i do this w/ my android phone, keep the other rom on an sd card reflash in recovery mode no computer needed). its just an android device, have you looked on the xda-developers forum to see if anyone has done this already?
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X