This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 runs a Koffice odp

This is just hilarious, or pitiful as one wishes to look at it.

i took in two versions of my first lecture for the Physics class today.

A odp(open document presentation) made with Koffice and Windows 7 ran it. YEAH!!

I opened exactly the same presentation in pptx and Windows 7 would not run it.

As an continuation of this.....the normal "complaint" about Koffice is no longer valid for the following reasons.

Kpresenter also produces a .pdf which is visually exactly like the odp or pptx, but is not editable, and it displayes just fine, although it is about 4/5 size of a presentation.

Kpresenter also exports as HTML and it will also play in the browser but it is also smaller.

The import of this is that there is now not a "real" reason to not use Koffice if one has to use/display it in a Windows situation.

The standard complaint against using Koffice is, as of now, not valid.

woodsmoke

latest Win 7 update scrambles .doc and .pptx fm old version

LOL
    The predatory practices of Microsith continue to amaze me.

Win 7 with latest update, over weekend at the college still reads .odp however, as before, it will not run an animation or embedded video.

However................

Where before MicroSith would "complain mightily" with multiple boxes that it couldn't read a .ppt or .pptx from a cd, now....

the .ppt on a cd gets the same complaints and "repairs" them but displays the "instructions" in say a picture or image box. Such as "click here to insert text, and the subheaded formatting... it displays the written words but also the instructions for the slide type. However, an animation or embedded video will run.

the .pptx on a cd gets the same complaints but now changes the formatting of a "black bullet" to an "empty box". However, an animation or embedded video will NOT run.

the Continuuuuuuinggggg sagaaaaa of microsith in space.

woodsmoke

Comment

Maybe it cant read it because KPresenter did a bad job of creating the pptx file...

Comment

Hi, I can see your point, but, I really don't think that is the case.

A test .odp was read fine at the beginning of the semester, although the vids and animations were static.

And because of that I have been using .ppt.

This one was a "rush change" because of scheduling in which I reduced the size of the presentation.

Just an hour or so ago, for the halibut, I tried it on my plain vanilla Vista on my Vaio and it opens fine and runs fine on the old PPT.

The file can't be changed because it is on a cd, so they are now, PROBABLY, putting some kind of "wrapper" around the file while it is being executed.

They do this continually so as to in some way get the user so irritated as to go out and spend the big bucks to purchase the MS suite.

woodsmoke
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 23, 2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

How do Libreoffice's presentations fare?

Comment

LO's odp produced in and of itself is now experienceing the same situation as Koffice's.

That is why I think that MS has a way to search for what types of files are being used on computers when updates are done, which are done regularly on the weekends.

As a side note, Windows media player will not play an MP3 on the school machines only .wmv.

There is a warning notice that the "file type is not recognized" and a popup offers to find something to play it, it goes to MSsite and of course can't find anything to play it.

In terms of a streaming media from say, SOMAFM it will only play the 128 k wmv and then only through the "popup" player.

For those who were not keeping up with MS shenanigans a few years ago, there is the whole thing about MS and the mp3, this article gives an overview.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/05/te...anted=all&_r=0

I was able to download RealPlayer, which GREATLY surprised me, and can play an MP3 on it.

as a further curiosity, one can take streamed mpegs from the net to the school on a usb drive and MS says that it can't play them.

However, if one takes exactly the same things, entitled the same way, on a cd and it will play them.

The operative thing being that MS can write a "wrapper" to the file in the USB, and the usb is "writeable" so the assumption is that the person with the usb is doing something nefarious.

The college has a degree in Linux coding.

However, the IT people who used to include a Linux person, now tell me...."get on with the program and just buy the MS products, since I can get them discounted as a teacher."

Kind of like Apple used to do.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
            X