This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

commentary on akonadi nepomuk

If anyone has SPECIFIC instances of things good or bad about akonadi/nepomuk please post them, but lets keep the rants to a minimum. I quite realize that a lot of people just don't like them/it, but what is needed is more light and less flame.

the good:
    a) I waited a while to try to enable it, and after a couple of false starts on my part, it has worked flawlessly.
    b) The reason for that is, I think because I have a lot of memory, 2 gig and allocate in start/system settings/desktop search/advanced settings 600Mib(using the slider). Basically, the more memory available the more of a chance that the indexing will go well.

the bad or at least indifferent:
    c) If there was some simple documentation about how to enable the resources in start system settings/personal information/akonadi resources configuration it might help.
    d) the INITIAL indexing by strigi MAY take a long....time....and if it does that can get irritating on bootup.

The consequence of this is, you have just turned the system on and it is starting... and maybe your Kontact app is checking mail, loading rss feeds, kwallet wants permission to do something, you have an app that starts on boot, maybe you have CAIRO dock going at startup..., etc. and the whole system just starts to "lag"...

This was never a problem for me until this semester particularly. We have a new text and I have all of the OLD presentations, the "outlines" for them, and the crossword puzzles, and i am splitting and rearranging and producing new versions of just about everything ..... and just have now.... a really LOT OF FILES.

Indexing. for me, used to take, maybe a minute or so...maybe two,

but now, it is taking upwards of four or five minutes!

So.....

If the user is the kind of person who shuts the computer down at the end of the day and has a lot of files that have to be indexed then...the indexing would just be intolerable. VERY UNDERSTANDABLE...

However, I have the computer running continually so, I turn it on and then I just go get coffee and let strigi churn away.

Because, when it is DONE, then the search using Dolphin is very fast, so the wait is worth it.

There is a fix for this also, depending on the number of files with which you have to work.

One of the default setting in nepomuk/strigi server configuration/desktop query is "ignore removable media".

One could keep the files on a usb stick.

I normally do that but right now the volume of files is huge so....

Unfortunately for moi, I have WAY too many files for that!

e) I have found that if I hit "enter" after typing in the search term that strigi just cycles.

Just type in the term do not hit enter and the results are VERY fast.

So, the summary of this small commentary is:
    a) if you shut down the computer daily, and have a LOT of files, then be prepared for a wait while the indexing occurs, .... if you leave the computer running continually then not to worry.
    b) the more RAM the better.
    c) move the slider on the amount of memory to use toward the right.
    d) try to reduce the number of apps that want to start on boot especially if you have a lot files to index.
    e) don't hit enter after entering the search term, just enter the term.

If anyone else has comments on specific good or bad things please post them for the benefit of folks who have not used the apps and may be considering them.

woodsmoke

Working...
X