This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greeting card software???[solved]

So i have downloaded glabler (awesome btw)
    I used to run print shop with winblows
    is there a Linux equivalent to that (also have scribus installed haven't dug into it yet ) ?

Re: Greeting card software

all I could find had to do with scribus

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000035

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

ok i got scribus ill have to see it

glabler was awesome once i tried it . Go TUX!

Comment

I use glabels and also Krita, but basically, since it is a "four fold up", I make for ONE SIDE of ONE SHEET in Libre Writer or Kwriter:

1) a text box for the front page, enter some text and and flip it vertically and put it on the top left quadrant of a word processor
        b) make another text box put "made by your wonderful granddad". flip it and put it in the top right quadrant.
        c) make another text box, for the inside left page, enter some text and, leaving it upright, put it in the bottom left quadrant
        d) do the same for the inside right page.
        e) print one side one sheet
        fold into a "four up" card.

You are going to put "a" "b" and "c" "d" on
        upside down "3" "6" right side up "2" "7"

[img width=338 height=400]http://static.flickr.com/42/103114011_2e6ff7151a.jpg[/img]

AND FOLD THE TOP HALF AWAY FROM YOU.

The push the "middle" AWAY from you to form the "card" which will then have it's two "pages" acutally upside down folds of paper, facing toward you.

Now, at first blush this may seem kind of dumb....but....

Here is the "trick"..... cut the top half from the bottom half, you now have the "outside of the card" which was the "top half"....

For the "inside of the card" ...TRIM.....the bottom half a little and you now have the "inside of the card" paste it inside... you can also cut the bottom half into two pieces, trim and you can glue those, separately inside the inside front and inside back.

for variation print the above made sheet on say....green.... cut off the top half...you have the outside of a green Christmas card...

RE-PRINT.....the same thing on say a "gold sheet" and cut out the bottom half and trim it and glue it inside the green top half and you have the inside of the card...

or maybe just paste in the bottom left with some text and past in a family photo on the right and sign underneath.

This will not fit in a standard envelope. There are templtes for printing an envelope but they get complicated, and the easiest thing to tell you is....find an envelope that will fit, carefully tease it apart and use it for a template to make your own envelopes.

Or, if you can find a "wedding shop" or a "paper shop" or sometimes a place like a drugstore that has cards and ask some who works there full time if you could purchase some "extras" envelopes, and they will almost always have a LOT of those, and he or she will usually more than willing to accomodate.

Also, this fits the "standadard small" size of wedding announcement so you can often just by a package of generic wedding announcement cards and use the envelopes, and give away the cards to someone who can use them, weddings always end up 'short" on stuff, usually cards at the last minute.

The above is basically a "four fold up"... as an aside: a "section of a newspaper" was a "16 fold up"...all done on one side of a piece of paper for the half of the pages you read, and the other side for the other pages you read, and when folded and trimmed you have sixteen pages of newspaper.

Folding paper is a fascinating hobby.

There "used to be" a greeting card maker that was in the repos of Xandros it was called KreetingKard.

The "problem" was that it was produced by someone "in the Orient" and English instructions were not very good and the implementation was not very good. It is not in Kubu repos and it is not at KdeLook so I imagine that it is gone with the winds of time.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
        X