Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strigi failed to index how to fix it and why it stopped working.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strigi failed to index how to fix it and why it stopped working.

The "fix" is to use Konqueror as root and navigate to:

home/.kde/share/apps

and delete/move to trash the whole folder named "nepomuk".

Then restart the system and nepomuk will make the folder anew and restart indexing.

The gentle reader can now stop reading.

How I had the problem

I changed the Kubu hard drive to another computer which had only one gig of memory so the indexer was using a lot of memory.

Also I was using a bigger video card with not enough memory and that was hogging stuff also.

THEN.. I followed DYK's instructions on how to install and run Koceansaver, also I tried to "make install" two other screensavers ... all of these folders had a LOT OF images, a lot of large images, etc. etc.

Basically nepomuk/strigi was swamped and when I started testing the setup of Koceansaver the system locked up.

Something happened to strigi at that time that set it into a loop trying to index what was in the extracted files of the Koceansaver tar.

I watched processes and virtuoso-t was going nuts and it was right after I did all the installations and the attempts so, I deleted the nepomuk folder, restarted and all was well.

However, the indexing is still slow from lack of memory so I will buy a stick tomorrow, but deleting the folder and then restarting has at least stabilized the system and the indexing does work, it is just slow.

Hope this helps a little.

woodsmoke
Working...
X