Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New free MS tool to create VHD out of a Windows installation...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New free MS tool to create VHD out of a Windows installation...

It's called Disk2VHD:
    Disk2vhd is a utility that creates VHD (Virtual Hard Disk - Microsoft's Virtual Machine disk format) versions of physical disks for use in Microsoft Virtual PC or Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines (VMs). The difference between Disk2vhd and other physical-to-virtual tools is that you can run Disk2vhd on a system that’s online.
    I heard about this from a video of the "Linux Action Show" episode which featured the VirtualBox application. The info about VB starts about halfway through the show, and the info about Disk2VHD starts around 37 minutes. The suggestion is that VB can run that Win VHD in VB on Linux!

An aside: I discovered the LAS by accident, and was surprised that I hadn't heard about it before, since I try (tried?) to keep up with all things Linux. The host and resident nerd sidekick are a LOT better than the old "Linux Show" couple, who did primarily an audio show. Chris (the host) and Allen (the tech) actually know what they are talking about and each has their own Linux & Windows consulting business. At a time when there is a strong migration from Windows to Linux it is good to have folks who are knowledgeable on both platforms. (Steve, does this give you ideas? 8) )

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: New free MS tool to create VHD out of a Windows installation...

Nice find, Jerry! Given that the tool is from Russinovich, that's a guarantee it'll behave exactly as advertised, the first time.

However, VMware has been doing the same thing -- converting a live running system into a VM -- already for a couple years with their free vCenter Converter. I've used it numerous times. Matter of fact, the Windows 7 VM I'm currently running in VirtualBox started out first as a bare-metal Windows install, converted to VMware with the aforementioned converter, then converted again into a VirtualBox vdi.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
    (Steve, does this give you ideas? 8) )
    Are you suggesting a joint venture...?

Comment

Na, you'd need someone with more talent, better looks, and smoother tongue than I have to side kick you.
      Perhaps Snowhog or Dibl?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Jerry, I like you, but not enough to let you kick me in the side with your tongue

Comment

Geez...

Please Read Me

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X