Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know where we can leave feedback?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know where we can leave feedback?

After finally updating to Kubuntu 11.10, i find I'm having a few problems with things. Like the new Muon Software Center. It's alot more cleaner IMO, but I'm having a problem with knowing if something is installing, already done, or is yet to be finished. There is no global status bar telling you the ETA to when it'll be done, or how fast it's downloading, and it's a major inconvience to me. I spent the last hour or so selecting all the software and tweaks I wanted added (because upgrading screwed up Kubuntu, and so I had to install it all over again), and lost my whole selection, because I couldn't find the install now button or anything, so I didn't know if it was installing or not. It doesn't even have a category to list whats downloading, like it does in the Ubuntu Software Manager (which is what Muon looks like). Also, I want to ask them for a simple way of repairing Kubuntu when something goes wrong, since I hate having to re-install the whole thing, every time something is wrong.

So does anyone know where we can leave our feedback for Kubuntu, and Kubuntu related software, and get our voice heard?

Re: Does anyone know where we can leave feedback?

bug reports on launchpad are one place

Code:
    ubuntu-bug muon
    is a quick way to do that.

as to 'repairing', that is a whole different animal, if there were such a thing (that was easily usable) that fit on the image, I am sure they would add it. There is imaging and backup software for linux, but it is not that easy to use imo.

One tip on reinstalling your software choices after a clean install, is to use Muon (Package Manager) to back up your software list before installing, and then using it to import those selections back in to it to be installed. You can also save the current list of things you are adding/removing for later use as well.

The software center app is , iirc designed to install one package at a time, and has a much smaller selection of packages it shows, much like Ubuntu's does. Muon Package Manager is probably more what you might like to use. it has those things you are missing in the Software Center.

Comment

I, too, would like to give my humble opinion to the developers, but am unsure how. Nothing is necessarily a "bug", but the last two upgrades have left me sitting at a terminal trying to uninstall nvidia-settings and reinstall headers and delete config files. The one that really gets me is kmix dropping all the channels from my 7.1 sound card into one output. I'm downloading LTS now, and I'm sticking with it until I see a new LTS. I will still proudly wear my circle of cogs tshirt until it's gray instead of black or it develops too many holes to be fixed...

Comment

video driver issues ARE bugs, though that part is an Ubuntu issue, across the variants. bug reports, or added info to existing ones, are useful in this area as there are sooo many cards, gpu variants and drivers that it is one of the biggest problem areas in Linux generally speaking. Especially as the FGLRX (ati/amd) and Nvida drivers are closed source and cannot be fixed by anyone other than amd and nvidia for the most part.

For me, LTS may have a longer shelf life, and security updates longer, but was rather buggy and slow.

Comment

I do like using Muon, but it's just it's missing a few things that would make it easier for me. And I don't think anyone would be too mad if there was a status bar or something for all of the packages your downloading, or suddenly have a new category of packges that are downloading, and installing. But I'm not quite sure if that'd be a bug though. I mean...bugs to me are problems with coding, not problems with the way the interface was designed.

Comment

bugs can include wish-list items, there is that category available

Actually, the proper place for muon bugs is bug.kde.org, I believe that is where the author prefers the bug reports to go, but he will see them in launchpad too.

if you look at the full on Muon Package manager, it DOES have the sort of progress bar you are thinking of, though the package installation progress is only the single bar.

The Software Center is by design less 'flashy' and feature-filled.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh

One tip on reinstalling your software choices after a clean install, is to use Muon (Package Manager) to back up your software list before installing, and then using it to import those selections back in to it to be installed. You can also save the current list of things you are adding/removing for later use as well.
              Darn it, I hadn't spotted that before I did a clean install of 11.10. What a cool feature, I'll know in future

Comment

Defantly an interesting feature, but having two things with a similar name can confuse me sometimes. XD Oh well, been using both. But I suggested the other to them, so hopefully we'll see some kind of improvement, so I don't mess up downloads or installed in the Software Center somehow!

Comment

Working...
                X