X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: setting directory permissions

thanks kubicle and vinny,

the partition i am working with is NTFS. i did not make any modifications to fstab, i went through "removable devices" in the system settings menu to set "auto mount on login."

the only partitions shown in my fstab (on another pc) are my ext4 and swap...

according to partition manager my sda3 UUID is b2c67413c673d5d7 mount point will be /media/OS. whats the correct syntax for adding that to fstab? im confused about vinnys UUID has dashes and mine doesnt.

thanks again!
    Code:
    chris@Harper-Inspiron-1545:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x78091a2f

Device Boot   Start     End   Blocks  Id System
    /dev/sda1        1      5    40131  de Dell Utility
    /dev/sda2        6    1918  15360000  7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3  *    1918    37331  284456304  7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda4      37331    60802  188527617  5 Extended
    /dev/sda5      37331    60284  184373248  83 Linux
    /dev/sda6      60285    60802   4153344  82 Linux swap / Solaris
    Code:
    chris@Harper-Inspiron-1545:~$ sudo blkid
    /dev/sda1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="DellUtility" UUID="3030-3030" TYPE="vfat" 
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="RECOVERY" UUID="7C04314C04310AA2" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sda3: LABEL="OS" UUID="B2C67413C673D5D7" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sda5: UUID="8504aa55-52fd-4678-82e6-1ccc71fd8df1" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sda6: UUID="a0645da2-6f7e-44e2-9c82-2c06de29e8b6" TYPE="swap"
    is NOT going back to microshaft!

Comment

Originally posted by chagmaier
      thanks kubicle and vinny,

the partition i am working with is NTFS. i did not make any modifications to fstab, i went through "removable devices" in the system settings menu to set "auto mount on login."
      Aaaa I dont know just how the "removable devices" in the system settings menu mounts things(I dont use it) but it should have been read,right for every one .......but perhaps trying to chown it did something (I dont know)

the only partitions shown in my fstab (on another pc) are my ext4 and swap...
      on a different PC the fstab will be different.

according to partition manager my sda3 UUID is b2c67413c673d5d7 mount point will be /media/OS. whats the correct syntax for adding that to fstab? im confused about vinnys UUID has dashes and mine doesnt.

thanks again!
      My(VINNY's) UUID had dashes because it's ext4 .....yours do to.

a line like this added to the fstab on the box in question will mount the ntfs partition read,write for everyone
      /dev/sda3 /mnt/OS/ ntfs-3g defaults,rw 0 0
      if you have a directory(folder) in /mnt named OS .........so make the directory .......
      Code:
      sudo mkdir /mnt/OS
      then edit the file fstab as root
      Code:
      kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
      and add the line to the bottom of the file.

remove what you did in the "removable devices" in the system settings menu and reboot .

everyone should now be able to access it.

you can fine tune access with(uid, gid, umask, dmask and fmask) like @kubicle sead but I don't know for sure some usable options for you as I don't use them on my one box that still has a NTFS partition on it ....I mount it as stated above.

BUT you could try this and see if it has the result you want

/dev/sda3 /mnt/OS/ ntfs-3g uid=chris,gid=Family 0 0
      if that has undesired results just change it back and reboot.

you can allso use the UUID instead of the /dev/entry as UUID= B2C67413C673D5D7

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

[
        Code:
        UUID=B2C67413C673D5D7 /media/OS ntfs defaults,rw, 0 2
        after entering the line above in fstab, i was able to access the partition with the other users. im going to mess around with the other options you gave...
        THANKS so much for the help.

re the "(on another pc)".... i meant that im working on 2 different pcs...one is the one in question, and the other is my 10.10 box which im typing on now. i couldnt just copy and paste..

Comment

I had the same problem with a new HD I just partitioned. It only gave 'root' access to it. I simply went into the terminal, typed sudo dolphin which gave root privileges to my file manager and changed the permissions through the file properties.

Comment

Originally posted by charles052
            I simply went into the terminal, typed sudo dolphin which gave root privileges to my file manager and changed the permissions through the file properties.
            Which is a good way to bork ones user /home directory. One should not launch a graphical application using sudo -- use kdesudo instead.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
              /dev/sda3 /mnt/OS/ ntfs-3g uid=chris,gid=Family 0 0
              adding the umask option you can control the permissions, for example
              /dev/sda3 /mnt/OS/ ntfs-3g uid=chris,gid=Family,umask=0007 0 0
              should give [rwx rwx ---] permissions (rwx permissions for user "chris" and group "Family"...which, judging by your first post, is what you where aiming for). (If you want different permissions for directories and files, use fmask and dmask instead of umask.)

Originally posted by Snowhog
              I simply went into the terminal, typed sudo dolphin which gave root privileges to my file manager and changed the permissions through the file properties.
              Which is a good way to bork ones user /home directory. One should not launch a graphical application using sudo -- use kdesudo instead.
              Also, changing permissions in dolphin only works with POSIX filesystems, not ntfs which is the core issue here.

Originally posted by vinnywright
              Aaaa,thanks for the clarification. I was working just from the man page and it didn't specify.
              Which man page were you reading, 'man mount' will list the options separated into filesystem independent and filesystem specific options.

Comment

thanks kubicle, the umask value was the final touch!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  I'll remember that. Still, it worked like a charm and I had no issues whatsoever. You can call it luck, I'll call it intuition.

Comment

Working...
                  X