X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub

Hey folks,

I just installed Kubuntu 11.04 on my in-laws laptop. Its been a while since setting up a new linux box, and I was a NOOB on the last one I did.

I have everything up and working, all the necessary software to help them feel comfortable outside their Vista box. Since this is sort of a trial period, I left the Vista partition intact. Dual booting in other words. I would like to bypass Grub all together so the computer defaults to Linux. Is it as simple as
    Code:
    sudo kate /etc/default/grub
    then changing
    Code:
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    to
    Code:
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
    Thanks for the help!
    is NOT going back to microshaft!

Re: Grub

Almost.

Alt-F2 "kdesudo kate" is the correct way to start kate in root mode. Don't "sudo" any of the KDE graphical packages, or you'll bork your user's home directory with root privileges.

After making the edit and saving the file, close kate and open a console window, and issue

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    to have /boot/grub/grub.cfg updated with the change. Then it should work as you intend.

Comment

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

well, thanks to dibl's advice, i got it working properly. BUT i screwed up by trying to setup different user accounts. somehow i managed to either type in an incorrect password when setting it or something. anyhow, i cannot login via sudo anymore. i understand i need to modify my boot parameter to access single user mode, then change root pw. is this correct? if it is, i cannot access the grub menu by pressing ESC during startup.
        here is my /etc/default/grub, i guess grub_timeout should =3?
        Code:
        GRUB_DEFAULT=0
        GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
        GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
        GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
        GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
        GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Comment

I want to see my Grub menu, so I always modify the /etc/default/grub after an install and make the following two changes:

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
          changed to
          #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

and
          GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
          changed to
          GRUB_TIMEOUT=-10

Commenting the first line causes the Grub menu to be displayed, and setting the next line to a negative value means that the Grub menu waits until the enter key is pressed before continuing.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X