This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Unable to install Kubuntu

I cannot install Kubuntu on my Acer Aspire R3610. Ubuntu installs & runs OK.

It has an Intel Atom 330 processor & Nvidia ION Graphics.

Any clues as to what to do to get it to run?

Re: Unable to install Kubuntu

Nope.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      Nope.
      LMFAO .........................A..... ya..... sorry

@jimhrvy what he means......... I think ..........is you haven't told anyone anything useful as a starting place to try to help you

are you instaling from? a cd a USB

will it boot?
      whare dose it bomb out on you?
      what kind of hardware?
      in short we have nothing to go on hear...............and as Kubuntu is Ubuntu with a KDE DE insted of GNOME or what is that called now unity? ...Ea it should install just fine if Ubuntu did.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The hardware was listed in the original post: Acer Aspire R3610 with Intel Atom 330 processor & Nvidia ION Graphics.

I am aware of what Ubuntu & Kubuntu are, hence the question.

For the record, I am 71 years young, and have been in computers & computing since 1971, and grown up with the whole business including the introduction of that thing called windows!

Ubuntu is already running on the machine concerned.

I have tried installing from CD, DVD, and WUBI.

The end result is the same; whether I try the alternative install by pressing 'escape', the install process just "hangs".

My own suspicion is that the Nvidia ion graphics is the core of the problem. That is where Ubuntu struggles,but eventually succeeds!!

Jimhrvy.

Comment

Do you want to have Ubuntu and Kubuntu quite separately or would one install of both together do?

Have you tried in Ubuntu, connecting to the internet, opening a Terminal and issuing the command:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
          This will produce a bit of a mixture of Gnome and KDE together, but at least you will have "Kubuntu". There are ways of removing Ubuntu, removing Gnome, e.g. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde , but that might remove something critical to your computer working, so it might be something of a risk
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by jimhrvy

My own suspicion is that the Nvidia ion graphics is the core of the problem.
            That's a very good guess -- I seem to recall reading some issue about Nvidia Ion, but I didn't retain it.

However, for one last go, may I recommend two steps (the second possibly being redundant):

1. Try the "Alternate Install" CD, rather than the Live Desktop.

2. Be certain to set the burn speed to the lowest that your optical drive will support, and the burn mode to "DAO" if that is available.

Historically, the "install hangs at xx%" problem has usually been due to a bad CD burn, but your issue may turn out to be that Nvidia chip.

Comment

To 'Arochester' - I did try adding KDE to the Gnome desktop, but the subsequent reboots failed!!

To dibl: Thanks for your suggestions; will try them as soon as I can.

What is it in the KDE set up that is different? I tried to install 'Magei - KDE' but had a very similar failure?

Does KDE hardware discovery do any thing different?

Comment

Most, if not all of the hardware detection is done by the kernel, and the kernel is identical in Ubuntu and Kubuntu. So that should not be a difference. However, some device-level function are handled by KDE packaged software, such as network-manager (a notorious dud).

Comment

Originally posted by jimhrvy
                  To 'Arochester' - I did try adding KDE to the Gnome desktop, but the subsequent reboots failed!!

To dibl: Thanks for your suggestions; will try them as soon as I can.

What is it in the KDE set up that is different? I tried to install 'Magei - KDE' but had a very similar failure?

Does KDE hardware discovery do any thing different?
                  This is a very odd situation. It would be helpful to see the boot and system logs after a failure.

If I read this right, you can install and boot Ubuntu, but Kubuntu locks up even after being added to a working install?

I realize this would be time consuming, but what if you installed Ubuntu and updated and booted to it a time or two to be sure it's all OK. Then from /var/log/ copy boot.log, dmesg, syslog, dpkg.log, Xorg.0.log and whatever else anyone can think of that would be informative to a safe place.

Then install KDE and boot to it. When it fails, re-copy all the above logs and compare the differences to see what's breaking. We'll be able to see what was installed too.

Seems unlikely to me that Xorg is different (thus the Ion device causing the failure) using KDE instead of Unity/Gnome, but it might be.

I'm wondering if KDM is the problem. Anyone know if GDM is over-ridden when KDE is installed? You can still launch KDE from GDM I think.

Please Read Me

Comment

Anyone know if GDM is over-ridden when KDE is installed? You can still launch KDE from GDM I think.
                    I think it asks you, or at least it should ask you, before it changes. You can switch back and forth e.g. "HOW TO SWITCH BETWEEN GDM, LIGHTDM OR KDM IN UBUNTU [QUICK TIP]" at http://www.webupd8.org/2011/07/how-t...ightdm-or.html
                    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks dibl!!!

Problem solved; downloaded and burnt alternate CD (@4x), and it installed ok.

Thanks for everyone who contributed!

Comment

Working...
                      X