This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Ripping DVD to AVI - audio out of sync

I don't work with DVDs and videos a lot, so I don't know the fine points. This is a privately made DVD (so no legal issues) that I want to rip to watch on my zen vision M, which wants an .avi file with xvid video and mp3 audio.

I have been using DVD-rip, and it seems to work, except that in the final avi file, the audio is several seconds ahead of the video. I have tried several settings, none of which I know anything about, and the out-of-sync varies from about 4sec to 7sec ahead.

Any ideas what I am dong wrong here?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Ripping DVD to AVI - audio out of sync

probably can't help, but have you tried avidemux or maybe k9copy? Curious to what you find out. Good luck.
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

OK so I never used DVD-rip befor........so I installed it.

hear working on a purchased DVD I first riped the main VOB then on the transcode tab under the audio options at the MP3 tab clicked the scan value button on the volume rescale line.

then just clicked transcode and let it do it's thing the resulting 1.3 Gig .avi is playing perfectly with no audio delay.

other than that I left all the default values alone

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'd say check your codecs. I had both the Ubuntu and Kubuntu restricted extras installed and it whacked everything up. I'd suggest using Ubuntu's restricted extras instead of Kubuntu's, but that's just from my experience; flash on online videos seem to work better with it.

I'd say try it with one and then the other and see what happens.

Comment

I tried OGMrip, which is basically another front end to ffmpeg, and it worked perfectly.
          I don't get why, though, it's using the same codecs. Funny thing is, I first switched to DVDrip because transmageddon was messing up videos in this same way.

The solution is probably to learn how to use ffmpeg from the command line. Someday.

Solved, but I have no idea how or why. That makes me VERY nervous.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
            The solution is probably to learn how to use ffmpeg from the command line. Someday.
            Yeah! there are just a few options!
            FKA: tanderson

Comment

Re: [solved] Ripping DVD to AVI - audio out of sync

i always used the k9copy works like charm for me..
              also arista transcoder is good. infact, arista transcoder is the most simple and to the point converter i have ever seen (win,mac,linux amongst all three)
              asus A52N
              Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
              AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
              windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

I like mencoder, personally. It's faster than FFMPEG, as easy to use, less weird artifacts...

I use k9copy as my front-end to mencoder.

Does NTSC DVD conversions very well (I just converted my 100 DVD library to .AVI with XVID/MP3 so I can watch my stuff on mobile devices).

Instructions:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Video_Conversion

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                X