X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with installing pure-ftpd manager

Hi!

I'm trying to install pure ftp with this quide!

When I try to run 127.0.0.1/ftp/install.php like it says it fails:
    Checking if config.php is writable Failed!
    I figuerd that I had to run my browser in sudo but it did't help.

Any ideas?

// Johan

Re: Help with installing pure-ftpd manager

Code:
    sudo chmod 777 /path/to/install.php
    Should work (don't know if my syntax is right though, could someone check? Also, by /path/to/install.php I don't mean 127.0.0.1/ftp/install.php, I mean the actual path, like /var/ftp/install.php, since I don't know if 127.0.0.1/ftp/install.php would work
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Hi! I get same error!

Comment

Do you have a webserver? Did you download the package and install in the /var/www/? (or wherever) directory. Then did you notice that the directions didn't ask you to run 127.0.0.1/ftp/install.php It asked you to use a web browser to visit the link htttp://localhost/ftp/install.php ? A small, but possibly significant, distinction.

Comment

Do you have a webserver?
          Yes!

Then did you notice that the directions didn't ask you to run 127.0.0.1/ftp/install.php It asked you to use a web browser to visit the link htttp://localhost/ftp/install.php ? A small, but possibly significant, distinction.
          Didn't se that but it gave me the same error anyway!

Comment

But did you install the put the package install.php file in directory called /ftp which was a child of the ROOT DIRECTORY OF YOUR WEBSERVER? e.g. /var/www/ftp/install.php where I am assuming that /var/www/ is the root of your webserver.

Comment

Code:
              But did you install the put the package install.php file in directory called /ftp which was a child of the ROOT DIRECTORY OF YOUR WEBSERVER?
              Yes, the path to install.php looks like this -> /disk1/www/ftp/install.php

Comment

Have you checked the perms on the file? Sorry for asking silly questions, but the instructions LOOK straight forward. I'm exploring the possibility of a gross blunder that you might not otherwise look for because you're too sophisticated to do anything that silly. Otherwise, I can't see why it doesn't work.

Comment

Sorry for asking silly questions, but the instructions LOOK straight forward. I'm exploring the possibility of a gross blunder that you might not otherwise look for because you're too sophisticated to do anything that silly.

Have you checked the perms on the file?
                  Ís there a console command to check that?

If I can't get this to work, can you recomend some other ftp-server?

Comment

Ís there a console command to check that?
                    "ls -l <your file>".

Search Synaptic or Adept (if you must) for ftp servers that are packaged for (K)Ubuntu. A lot of people like vsftpd.

Comment

"ls -l <your file>".
                      Is this correct?
                      -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 63012 2005-09-26 22:17 /disk1/www/ftp/install.php

A lot of people like vsftpd.
                      Ok!

Comment

Your permissions are as permissive as they can be. Perhaps more permissive than they should be. Are you allowing anonymous ftp users to WRITE into your ftp directory? That would seem to be a significant security hole. I would have established an ftp group to which named ftp users belong (with write privileges) and anonymous users do not. Then I could set the perms to 775 instead of 777. This is not to say that you couldn't still wind up with a situation like the one we had a few days ago, with an evil registered user.

Comment

Working...
                        X