This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After installing Windows on a second hard drive, Kubuntu ceases booting

I have Kubuntu 11.04 filling up an entire hard drive. I just put Windows XP on a second hard drive. Now, Linux will no longer boot. It looks like grub isn't starting as if the Windows install CD disabled it somehow. How can I fix this. If it overwrote my Kubuntu hard drive or repartitioned it I will be very angry. My Kubuntu drive is my main drive with all of my important stuff on it. Btw, I've already tried looking this up on here, but everyone seems to be concerned with dual booting on a single hard drive, not multiple ones.

Re: After installing Windows on a second hard drive, Kubuntu ceases booting

more details on how you went about this .............were both drives in the box when you installed XP ...........did you make sure XP went to the right drive..

likly you just cant get in and your data is intact ........if you can boot the kubuntu cd and run
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    and post it hear we can see what you have and go from their .

you may even just be abel to reinstall grub .........but lets start with posting that

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

"fdisk -l" is not returning anything. I even tried setting the command line to the Linux hard drive (with cd /media/insert serial number) and it still didn't return anything. The good news is that I checked the hard drive with dolphin and everything seems to still be there. At least I know that the drive wasn't repartitioned.

Comment

sory try
        Code:
        sudo fdisk -l
        I dident think the sudo part was necessary on a livecd .....and that is a lower case L

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Disk /dev/sdb: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders
          Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
          Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
          I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
          Disk identifier: 0x0005c282

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          /dev/sdb1 1 182304 1464351744 83 Linux
          /dev/sdb2 182304 182402 784385 5 Extended
          /dev/sdb5 182304 182402 784384 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
          Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
          Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
          I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
          Disk identifier: 0x000572ea

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          /dev/sda1 * 1 24320 195350368+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Comment

I don't know if this is related at all, but when I've unplugged the Linux drive so that it boots to Windows, Windows reconfigures my BIOS to boot to the Windows drive instead of the Linux drive and I have to change it back each time. If not, I can probably figure out how to stop it on my own.

Comment

ok so befor I give you a long fix........let me ask ...if you leave both drives in the box dose kubuntu boot ....if you can get kubuntu to boot with both drives in the box then just run
              Code:
              sudo update-grub
              and the windows install should get added to your grub boot menu

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

No, Kubuntu does not boot. The motherboard loads, then it stops. It's as if grub is failing to load. That command line will be extremely helpful after I get this working, though. Thanks. You just saved me a bunch of time.

Comment

Windows overwrites the boot sector so Grub is wiped. After installing Windows you can use a LiveCD to reinstall grub and all will be good.

Follow the instructions here:
                  http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/08/how-...ot-loader.html

or here
                  http://johnsonyip.com/wordpress/2011...rruptedbroken/

(whichever one you find easier to follow)

Comment

Working...
                  X