This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing files from a different box ?

OK so I have a desktop that runs 10.04 and an ssh server with a ext3 file system and a laptop running 11.04 with a ext4 file system .

my hole media collection is on the 10.04 box......I can access the files just fine from the 11.04 box with dolphin>network>add network folder>ssh and fill out the info ......no prob. (this even worked well from a different state after fording port 22 through my router and pointing the ssh folder at my IP.)

but it's kind of slow ......... the question is if NFS (on my home LAN) is faster/better and worth the setup time over ssh.
    or is it better to stream the media instead of copying it over ..... and if streaming is better a point in the right direction please

Thank you
    ☢VINNY☢
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Re: Accessing files from a different box ?

Yes, NFS is way smoother/faster than ssh.

A big advantage is you can mount the NFS share and access it as if it were a local device (read/write, play, whatever)

I export my media directories on my server and use ssh to access the system files when the need arises.

How much work you have to put into your NFS setup depends on your security (both privacy of your data and reliability of your data) requirements.

At the simplest levels, you mount the NFS share and give yourself permission to access it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Oh BTW, You can configure a link via ssh in Dolphin and save it as a location. Not any faster file access, but less work to get to the files.

I also use a shared key so I don't need a password every time I use ssh/rsh.

Please Read Me

Comment

thanks @oshunluvr

I was all ready doing the dolphin thing with ssh/sftp

but will look into seting up NFS as you say it's smother and faster ....and sense it's a mounted file system I should be able to watch/listen to my media without copying it over

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

sweet this NFS is nice......seams just like playing with files on the HD .

I dident do any thing fancy just accessing it with a manual call to mount
          sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.2.5:/home/vinny/ /mnt/desk1
          with the /home/vinny 192.168.2.2(rw,sync) set in /etc/exports on the server box (just running the client on the lappy)

thanks for pushing me into it @oshunluvr

now I can find more stuff to choke up this box's HD .... LOL

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

lol, yes NFS is sooooo much easier than samba. It's like three lines of text and you're done.

You can tune it a bit too if you want. I use jumbo frames, 32K packet size and anonymous UID and GID control.

Friggin awesome...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X