This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDD format

Hmm, first of all: sorry for my English. I actually speak Dutch, so I hope that you can understand me...

I have a little issue... A few months ago, I installed Linux Kubuntu on an old computer. No Windows anymore on that hard disk... The entire hard disk was just for Linux.

But then I wanted to install Windows 2000 Pro , and erase Linux. So I boot the cd Windows 2000, and choosed the option "erase entire disk".
    It was not possible. Windows 200 couldn't do it.

So now, I want to install Kubuntu on my real pc.
    AMD Sempron64 2800+ , 160 GB Hard Disk, 1 GB DDR Ram, MSI nVidia GeForce FX 5500.
    But I don't want to lose my hard disk, you know.

If I install Kubuntu, do I then still have the option to install Windows on that hard disk?
    I use Firefox because it's better and safer, I use Linux because it's the best of the best. Together they are like magic. USE THE FORCE, CHOOSE FREE AS IN FREEDOM!

Re: HDD format

Frankly, I don't see why not, but, I don't understand why you couldn't reinstall Win2K on your other computer. However, my advice would be to leave your windows installation on a portion of the hard drive and make room for linux on the rest. A complete installation of Ubuntu Linux z9including BOTH kDE and Gnome)can be accomodated in 10 to 15 GB (depending on how much "stuff" you have).

I would use a windoze partition manager like Partition Magic to free up about 10 GB of space and to make a 1GB FAT32 partition for interchanger between windoze and Linux. Then I'd let the Kubuntu Desktop CD format the Linux partition and install Kubuntu.

Comment

That is not a bad idee... That's probably the best thing to do.
      My hard disk is 160 Gig, so it's big enough.
      Just one little probleme that I can see: a partition manager. I have here an old version of Partition Magic, but it can only handle hard disks up to 80 gig, mine is a 160 gig hard disk. So I can't use that version of Partition Magic anymore... Is there another way to create a partition for Linux? Hopely a free alternative.

I use Firefox because it's better and safer, I use Linux because it's the best of the best. Together they are like magic. USE THE FORCE, CHOOSE FREE AS IN FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by SJ
        That is not a bad idee... That's probably the best thing to do.
        My hard disk is 160 Gig, so it's big enough.
        Just one little probleme that I can see: a partition manager. I have here an old version of Partition Magic, but it can only handle hard disks up to 80 gig, mine is a 160 gig hard disk. So I can't use that version of Partition Magic anymore... Is there another way to create a partition for Linux? Hopely a free alternative.

yes, I've found that Paragon Partitition Manager is even BETTER than Partiton Magic because it doesn't error out all the time when I boot it up.
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Working...
        X