This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentlemen @ ladies 'ware you tower wireless pci cards

Because I am such a nice guy I gave my Linksys wireless N PCI card, that works flawlessly at humoungous ranges through concrete and multiple walls, away to a friend.

Thinking, that later, I could easily buy another or the updated version.

The following stores do not carry Linksys PCI wireless cards at the present and have no plans to do so in the future ( in the midwest USA).

They all sell "usb" wireless "dongles" now.

Best Buy
    Office Depot
    Staples
    My local go to home owned computer store does not have them available in their purchasing train.

Circuit City corp. closed our local Circuit City down, last year so I can't get theirs locally but they do have them on the website so they may be available in your area.

http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...358&CatId=2701

Don't know about your area but if those three aren't carrying them I perceive that they are on the way out and FAST.

I tried the latest and greatest NetGear and Linksys usb dongles in my computer with several distros including Kubuntu and SuperOS.

None of them even SAW the dingus.

I figured that I was probably going to get one from someplace like Amazon, and they do have them, but they are half price....so....going ....going....

Most hilariously, in digging through my hardware "stash" I ran across an old D-Link 180 mbps PCI setup with the antenna on a wire 32 bit, and surprisingly, it works! The box only mentions Win XP and 2000!

So, I lucked out there but I am going to be purchasing at least one Linksys from Amazon or Circuit City online, probably two, to be on the safe side.....

because, apparently, "Linux" is not yet there with usb wireless and how long it might take is a guess, not that I'm criticizing, but if one depends on a tower and depends on wireless, maybe one might consider getting a backup card soon.

just a thought.

woodsmoke

Re: Gentlemen @ ladies 'ware you tower wireless pci cards

Woodsmoke is this what your looking for?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124342
    49.99 @newegg w/free shipping.
    OS: Win7 Prof. X64, XP Prof. x86. WD 160GB X3 RAID 0<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid X64 LTS. <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 10.10 Maverick X64 KDE 4.6.2<br />MB: abit IP35 PRO. Q6600 OC: 3204MHz. <br />RAM: OCZ 1066MHz 8GB (4X2GB) <br />Graphics: Nvidia 9800GTX+ OC: 823/1265<br />Displays: LG 1280X1024. Asus 1680X1050

Comment

Re: Gentlemen @ ladies 'ware you tower wireless pci cards

Yes sense Cisco systems bought linksys it is very hard to find the older designs...drivers they no longer support any older linksys devices..Just the designs sense they took over.
      Sometimes on e-bay you find them and pretty cheap too.But again good luck finding drivers for windoz. linux of course has them..
      HP Pavilion m7750n desktop<br />AMD 64x2 2.6 ghz cpu,2gb mem,Geforce 6150 Le graphics <br /> Kubuntu 11.04 x86_64

Comment

Working...
      X