X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weka ignores CLASSPATH environment variable

Hi All,

I'm running kubuntu 11.4 and am having a problem with the distribution of weka, the machine learning and knowledge analysis program. It's a java program, and requires being able to adjust one's classpath in order to use supporting classes, in my case the jdbc postgres driver.

Expected behavior:
    Running weka using the kubuntu supplied startup script should honor and pass along the CLASSPATH environment variable
    $ export CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar
    $ weka
    [select help->Systeminfo]
    [ java.class.path shoud show "/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar:/usr/share/java/weka.jar" ]

Actual behavior:
    The CLASSPATH environment variable is either overwritten or ignored
    $ export CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar
    $ weka
    [select help->Systeminfo]
    [ java.class.path shows ":/usr/share/java/weka.jar" ]

Workaround:
    Set the CLASSPATH environment variable to point to everything needed and then run the program manually:
    $ export CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java/postgresql.jar:/usr/share/java/weka.jar
    $ java weka.gui.GUIChooser

This work-around is silly... clearly the start up script /usr/bin/weka that is distributed with kubunutu is broken. What do I need to do to get this fixed in subsequent versions of the package?

Re: weka ignores CLASSPATH environment variable

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/weka/+bugs

why is setting the classpath to include both items silly?
    This package is in the 'universe' repository, and as such may be one that was simply automatically imported from Debian, and has no official support. Not that this can't be fixed, but what would the fix be? I am thinking most users of this would modify the script to add their own particular options.

Comment

Re: weka ignores CLASSPATH environment variable

It's silly that I have to use the workaround in the first place. The run script shouldn't throw away your environment variables.

> and has no official support.

Noted.

Comment

Working...
      X