This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for KDE/Kubuntu

I have been using Linux since 1996 and used KDE from when it appeared until I migrated from (Open)SuSE to Ubuntu - basically following the trend...
    Ubuntu came with Gnome and while I always preferred KDE, I kinda got used to it. And well, Gnome 2 is really quite nice and at the same time, I was a bit disappointed by KDE 4 at the beginning.

And then there came Unity and Gnome Shell.

Unity - unusable, I think. Gnome Shell looked way better at first - but strange "features" like no (obvious) possibility to change the font or really change the font size, and especially this:
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=643457
    made me have a closer look at KDE again, simply by installing the kubuntu-desktop package...

And now Linux is fun again! And I can even power-off my PC...

Cheers,
    Torsten

Re: Thanks for KDE/Kubuntu

Originally posted by dode
    Unity - unusable, I think.
    It certainly requires a different way of thinking!

I've found that Unity worked quite well on my netbook when I ran it from my USB stick. But on my PC it quickly shows that it is buggy and unfinished. I'll probably never install the 11.10 version of Unity but will definitely look at the 12.04 LTS version as that is when I think Unity will be complete and look and feel like a finished product.

But for now I'm only using KDE/Kubuntu and it just gets better with very release. I've used 10.04, 10.10, 11.04 and now a pre-release version of 11.10. On this old PC of mine both 10.04 and 10.10 work well but display some weird bugs. 11.04 looks and feels very nice, I think 11.10 will just improve on that.

Comment

Welcome to Kubuntu. For the record our stories are a lot a like.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U
        It certainly requires a different way of thinking!
        True. But what I especially didn't like is the fact that you have to move your mouse and click about twice as often to get where you want than with a "classic" desktop.

I liked Gnome 3 a lot better, even though it also suffers from that problem to some extent. But what really pissed me off with Gnome 3 is the "we know better than you how you should use your desktop" attitude of some of the developers there. You can't set another style, no other font, the font size only very general. A minimize and maximize button was removed from the window title because it doesn't make sense anymore - but I'd still like to be able to hide a window. Eventually it was the removal of the "Power Off" option and forced usage of "Suspend" which a) Wastes energy and b) Is broken on many machines, that finally made me go back to KDE.

I'm still very pleased with the high level of usability and also stability of KDE - and it looks very nice too. Also GTK applications.

Comment

Originally posted by dode
          ...But what really pissed me off with Gnome 3 is the "we know better than you how you should use your desktop" attitude of some of the developers there.
          IMO this is the intent of gnome development. That's why we use KDE

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X