X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer problems

Dear every merry penguin
    I have a friend with a problem, and the problem is not that he uses Windows, but that the computer seems to shut down arbitrarily, but the fans are still on. The first time the problem occurred was while watching a film-file on the computer.

The following systems occurs:
    • Screen is on but searching for a signal (which might not be there - it is not an onboard graphic card).
    • There is no sound (onboard graphic card).
    • The fans are still running.

Temperature seems not to be a problem, since one indicator indicates that the temperature is only 42 degrees Celsius. If the computer is not used but still turned on, nothing happens. Approximately 30 minutes of use, the computer enters the above described mode with an inactive motherboard and running fans.

I do not know if it has any relevance, but it is using Windows 7, however, I do not believe it is a viral problem since it does not gloat when it turns of.

Re: Computer problems

Well, I think the best bet may be to burn a Kubuntu disk and boot up with it and see what it does with the Linux OS running. If it does the same thing, then it's the hardware for sure. If not, then if could be a glitch or virus causing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim
      • Screen is on but searching for a signal (which might not be there - it is not an onboard graphic card).

Either the graphic card is failing to provide a signal, or the cable to the monitor is loose.

Comment

OR

You may need to tone down the power saving settings... it's quite possible that the system and/or monitor is going into a sleep state. Might want to check that.

Also, when the screen goes blank/searching... moving the mouse or hitting a key/space on the keyboard wont bring it back? Or does your friend have to reboot the computer entirely to get it back?

Is it a laptop, desktop, netbook, tablet, toaster?

Cheers!
        Man by his very nature is dependent on other men.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim
          If the computer is not used but still turned on, nothing happens. Approximately 30 minutes of use, the computer enters the above described mode with an inactive motherboard and running fans.
          Hi Kim...

Welcome to the forums

Can you give us the brand and model of this computer as well? If the issue is not what dibl and SIR_Taco described above, then I also would consider looking at the power supply unit (if it's a desktop model) and the motherboard.

From what I have read, a lot of motherboard diagnostic software is vendor specific and your computer may have diagnostic software already included. If not, you can try running this program and see if it reports anything....if it will stay running long enough.

You can test the PSU with a tool like this one.

You may also want to take it into a professional to look a it if the advice offered on this thread does not resolve the problem. Contact the manufacturer if the system is still under warranty.

Hope this helps...

Regards...
          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

First of all, many thanks for the good replies.

Regarding the ability to awake the computer (desktop), he needs to reboot it. It is completely unresponsive. Dead as a toaster with Windows Vista.

The problem is, it seems that the computer does not do anything, if it is not in use. That is, it is turned on of course. However, the very second he starts using it, after 30 minutes or so, it gives up. I suggested him to try to push it to see what happened. And it seems that the harder it is pushed, the tendency to give up grows.

I remember I had a somewhat similar problem on my XP once regarding the graphic card that just stopped. However, I used a driver that kickstarted the card with 16 colours so that I would be able to reboot it. In this case, however, it seems that the computer just gives up and only leaves the fans on.

His room is rather dusty and he smokes a lot. Could nicotine infected dust have something to do with it?

I will try to find the numbers and names you requested.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim
              First of all, many thanks for the good replies.
              You're welcome, glad to help.

Originally posted by Kim
              Could nicotine infected dust have something to do with it?
              At the very least, it can clog up fans and heatsinks in both desktops and laptops. However, I have never worked on a system (that had nicotine dust buildup) that had any other problems because of it. If the system is no longer in warranty, your friend may want to take the cover off and see if the CPU and GPU fan/heatsink assemblies (and any system or other fans) need to be blown out. If so, he can purchase a can of air or gas like this one at a local store like Walmart or best Buy.

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

We use politicians here - the (hot) air is cheaper!
                Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
                GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
                Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

The only smoking related issues I have observed is failure of the optical drive. I think the lens gets coated with smoke residue. Certainly not the issue here.

Comment

What version of kubuntu is this machine running?
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                      What version of kubuntu is this machine running?
                      My Dear... it is running 7. That is not 7.04 or 7.10 but, curse me not, Windows 7. It is not my machine, but a friend of mine. I am the proud owner of Kubuntu 11.04 on my laptop. Me, as well as my laptop enjoy Kubuntu very much.

Comment

One of the people I support is a heavy smoker. She rolls her own to cut the costs. She smokes 2 packs a day. Just walking into her house, swapping out a mouse, and immediately leaving results in my clothing being saturated with cigarette smoke odor which is over whelming. My wife makes me take off ALL of my clothes in the utility room off the back door, where the washing machine is.

She called me last year and said that her video was locking up and then the machine would power down without warning after about 5 to 10 minutes of operation. I told her to get out her vacuum cleaner and I'd be over in a while. I took along a micron mask and a can of Nitrogen gas. As I suspected, the particles of cigarette smoke, AND the dust it attracts, covered her mobo, power supply, peripheral cards (desktop) AND NVidia card with a 1/8th to 1/4th inch layer of dust. The fan on the power supply was so clogged that it could barely move. It's a wonder it didn't burn out, but it was the thermal switch in the power supply which would finally abruptly turn off the computer. It took 20 minutes of vacuuming, blowing, wiping, brushing, poking, with Q-tips, Kleenex, rags, etc. Fortunately, when I put the machine back together and turned it on, it stayed on. I showed her how to take the back off and vacuum the machine EVERY WEEK -- there is an AMAZING amount of particulates in cigarette smoke. In the lungs, cilia sweep it up the wind pipe where it is ether expectorated or swallowed.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

http://technose.files.wordpress.com/...02-08_1349.jpg

This is not an 'X' rated picture (nor is it my computer!) but a good example of a smoker's pc.

Mine gets a monthly blow-thru especially as the dog now uses the study as her bedroom and I don't smoke,
                          but it is still amazing how much debris is sucked in by the fans.
                          Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
                          GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
                          Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Working...
                          X