This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu minimal CD not booting from USB

Well I've hit a snag. I "burned" a 64-bit Ubuntu Minimal CD image to a USB thumb drive using Unetbootin from my 32-bit Kubuntu (on a 64-bit C2D), but when I try to reboot into the image, I get a blank screen with only "boot error" showing. And yes, I did reset the boot order to boot from USB (this computer can do that). BTW the drive is a Attache 2GB formatted as FAT32.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Re: Ubuntu minimal CD not booting from USB

I tried to reformat the drive as ext2 and go through the process of writing the ISO to the drive using UNetBootin, but upon reboot the blank screen would say "operating system missing". Anybody have any solutions?
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I have been installing Kubuntu on a Netbook computer and it has no CD drive so I have to use a SD card. For the SD card I left the file system unchanged. I assume that it has a file system such as ntfs as it would be compatible with a Windows system. The application that I use to make a bootable image on the SD card is usb-creator-kde. It will take the image from a CD or from an ISO file.

When the SD card is used to boot from in the BIOS setup, it gives the installation options for Kubuntu. I am not sure if this is what you want. Are you are wanting this or are you wanting to setup a working system with root and home directories on the USB card?

Comment

Yes, that is what I was looking to do. That way, instead of having to burn CD's, Ican use the thumb drive for installing the OS. Plus, if I wanted to install another OS, I can just use the same drive, just erase and write the other image to it.

Comment

Follow this -- use "Method 2": http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3117175.0

Comment

Well that didn't work too well. Using method 2 fron the forum dibl pointed me to, I created a single (ext2) partition as I didn't need to have a "home" partition for a Ubuntu MinimalCD iso. After installing grub to the drive, I rebooted to see if it worked (still had the order set to USB first), but the BIOS skipped the drive and to the HDD. IS ther anything else that I could do other short of burning to a CD or maybe a external USB HDD?

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski

the BIOS skipped the drive and to the HDD
              BIOS followed the "boot device priority" that you have set. Change it -- set "removable device" to the first position.

Comment

All I did was to set only the "boot" flag from the KDE Partition Editor, and I finally got it to "boot" from the USB key. Now I have the ol' grub> prompt upon boot. It's one step closer though. What can I do now to actually get it to the splash screen with the options?

Comment

Hello, an update

When I booted into the USB key, I was able to use the grub command line to boot the Minimal CD installer. So now I have a lean, crisp, new amd64 version of Kubuntu 11.04, all updated to the latest 4.6.5.

Comment

Working...
                  X