This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find a light wight text editor

Hello, I have a problem, in fact it's not really a problem, but I don't really have time to deal with it.

See, I use Quanta for web development (or Bluefish), they're both great, but they're quite bulky, especially Bluefish.

Can someone please direct me to a really lightweight graphical text editor? I need it to do small things like change some css here and there, or look for some javascript variable...you name it.
    I generally use nano, but I'd like it to be graphical because it needs to have those handy line numbers.

Also, if I there's a quanta option which activates these numbers...you know... share it with me.

Thanks.

Re: Where to find a light wight text editor

You could try using Kate (KDE Advanced Text Editor), the default text editor in KDE. It's lightweight, but still packs a great deal of features, like syntax highlighting and multiple document interface.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

No, sorry Kate isn't the lightweight I'm looking for... in fact I do believe loading time is almost equal to quanta on my system.

Apparently the answer was right under my nose though. Krusaders file viewer is fast, small, and has line numbers , and given that I work a lot with Krusader it's perfect. No more nano.

But thanks anyway.

Comment

kwrite (already installed) and kedit are 2 other options as well

Comment

Emacs does have an 'X' version, with 'mouse usable' menus etc.
          I agree with you about kate, the old 2.x version was better IMHO.
          I wouldn't consider it 'lightweight', but gedit does lend itself to good workflow when coding (mainly python in my case) simple find/and replace, line numbering etc. without time spent trying to make it behave as you would like.....

I no longer feel like the only person wanting 'Xnano'

Comment

I don't know, but gedit's and kate's start up time on my system is practically the same. I don't have Quanta installed, though, so I can't compare kate with it.

You might want to try out kwrite, which is basically just a slimmed down version of kate, but still has the basic features that make it useful for coding.

I do admit, though, that for a default text editor, kate should at least load faster.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
              kate should at least load faster.
              Loading time isn't an issue with me, kate's memory footprint and stability (or lack of) over time (days progressing to weeks) makes gedit 'better', gedit will quite happily sit in the backgroud without me noticing it for days on end( I only use a window list, not a taskbar, yes I'm a freak...) and files 'pop up' instantly when I open them (normally by accident I must admit). All this said I'm **trying** to convert back to kate, just for 'uniformity', but that persistent session reloading thing just gets on my nerves, I have IDEs for that kind of task.

Comment

I haven't had any problems/issues with kate being opened for a long time, although not for weeks. But that's on my system.

Session reloading? Can't you configure kate not to load the last-used session and not to save the session? (Settings > Configure Kate > Sessions).
                Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                  Session reloading? Can't you configure kate not to load the last-used session and not to save the session? (Settings > Configure Kate > Sessions).
                  Probably, but if it doesn't run in a console I generally don't read the man page (or any documentation for that matter), but that's what you get for taking 5 year break from *nix, I think it's called Winitus.

P.S. sorry to hijack your thread with our conversation.

Comment

I didn't read the man page for kate, either. I just knew that Kate settings are found in the Settngs menu, and then saw the Sessions options. I just discovered those unintentionally.
                    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

OK so I've been using the Krusader editor more then quanta now.

It's got absolutely all I need (I generally used notepad and total commanders editor while in windows) so it's not a big step. It's just that this thing is so excellent, there should be a standalone version. It looks for corect css and javascript and php..and with line numbers it's like a developers dream . Now I know kate does this too, but this is better because it works closely with krusader.
                      It might be a bit much if I expected a MDI too

Still I believe I like it more than quanta, the menus make quanta slightly bulky.

Haven't tried kedit yet. Though if this works...

Comment

Working...
                      X