X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Kubuntu doesn't keep time clock is not working off wrong time battery

The clock is
    not working, gets off, won't keep time, having to change settings, set UTC does not keep time, local time does not keep time.

Ummmmm almost one hundred percent of the time it is the....

battery

which YOU can change with a fingernail file...

move the "clip" slightly to one side, pop the battery out, put new one in, reboot, PROBABLY TWICE...so that the bios can get it's skirts together....and you are fine.

[img width=400 height=300]http://pctechnotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/cmos_battery1.jpg[/img]

Technically it is called the CMOS battery: get one for free from a computer place where you have held up the shelves for a while or buy one....

OOOOPSY......>NOT AT WALMART.. > ..EVIL WALMART.. > ..for a dollar.... >

Go to a "computer box store" and pay five dollars instead...

Evil wal-mart.... > .horrid wal-mart... >

I know.....go to TARGET!!! OOOPS...Target does not sell one dollar batteries..... go to...

I know....ORDER IT FROM NEW EGG....one dollar for battery.....five dollars shipping.... waay cool!! 8)

DO NOT GO TO WAL-MART!!!! EVIL WALMART!!! > > >

Below is a site called computer hope with PICTURES....and INSTRUCTIONs....

I know....all the SMART PEOPLE......THEY KNOW HOW TO DO THIS.....

They will tell you so...every chance they get .....it is called

"nose sniffing'....NO NOT THAT KIND OF NOSE SNIFFINT!!!

it is not trying to sell you a one dollar battery.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

woodallintokeepingthingsfairinpricesmoke

Re: Time Kubuntu doesn't keep time clock is not working off wrong time battery

Originally posted by woodsmoke
    DO NOT GO TO WAL-MART!!!! EVIL WALMART!!! > > >
    You're writing my lyrics, all you need now is a catchy tune!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Oh that is harsh!

woodsmoke

Comment

But true.

It seems to be the standard business model with American corporations. Layoff all your American workers and move the factory over seas where slave labor is cheap and quality is worse. Then import the products back into America with NO tariffs, thanks to NAFTA, but sell then at the same price they were being sold when American workers made them.

No OSHA laws to obey
        No EPA laws to obey
        No holiday, overtime or vacation hours to pay,
        PROFIT!!!!

If security or export laws forbid the above steps then bribe Congress to loosen H1-B laws so you can import cheap workers here, and avoid hiring American workers. When the scam was exposed, the Congressmen displayed the appropriate "outrage", but since then, 2007, nothing has been really done. Out of sight, out of mind ... business as usual.

(Did you notice that the upper level management, board members and owners continue to live here, however, usually in gated communities?)
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yep, yep, yep, yep and ummm yep!

However, I ...personally.....think that a LOT of this goes back to the "quarterly report" in which the U.S. Congress, for a one time bump in money to give to their constituents said that corporations must file "ahead of time" about what they "think they might make".

And things have spiraled downward since then. In part because of the "spreadsheet" which give a bean counter the ability to point "at that" and say "eliminate that" and you can make "more profit".

I have spent a desultory many hours trying to find out whether it was the Repubs, the Dems or both that enacted that piece of drek.

Maybe one of the many denizens of Kubu forums might be able to figure that out.

woodsmoke

Comment

About three or four years before I retired the Bean Counters began doing "audits" of the department where I worked. These were financial audits of the various financial reports about the tax payers that were generated by the applications we wrote. They'd run their adding machines (I kid you not, so 19th century) on a few selected tax payers using their submitted tax documents and then request a computer generated report for those taxpayers to see if our values differed from theirs. As it turned out, when ever there was a discrepancy THEIR values were always wrong.

Not satisfied with that, they began "recommending" IT, programming and backup procedures which were so ... stupid... it boggled the mind. For example: Say I meet with a department which is vested with the responsibility to track tax payers in a certain area and compute who is entitled to a reduction and by how much. We work together to determine the necessary input data, output reports, and database structure to hold the data from year to year. I then write the database. I write the program. I test it against a small copy of the database and, I deploy it on the internal network as an executable. In other words, management gives me the entire software project and I talk directly with the clerks in the department which use it. It will be face-to-face for all problems, suggestions, modifications, etc. I will exchange emails directly with the others. There is no intermediaries. A boss doesn't require that all the other emails go to him and he forwards them to me, nor do I have to send all my emails to him so that he can forward them to the others. Neither does he have to schedule meetings with him, me and the others to discuss things. Things can be very efficient. Making a change in a form or in the data being printed out on the annual printout can take as little as 30 minutes.

Then comes the bean counters. While I write the software I can no longer compile it and put the executable on the internal network server. Some other coder has to do that. BUT, he never attends the the spec meetings, had no hand in the design, the documentation is through but he hasn't programmed using C++ or Qt4. I can design the database but I cannot access the the database engine to create it or make changes or add test data. Some other coder has to do that, but not the one who compiles the program. Etc.... Changes take days to weeks. Confusion because of too many people between them and me. Finger pointing when things go wrong ...

Comment

lol that is ...well.... stupid! lol
              woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
              X