Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu on mini pc. Witch kubuntu should i try. Intel Atom cpu 1gb ram?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu on mini pc. Witch kubuntu should i try. Intel Atom cpu 1gb ram?

From the Ubuntu site, a way to install Kubuntu to a USB Stick on Windows:

1. Insert a USB stick with at least 1GB of free space
    2. Download the Universal USB Installer
    3. Click 'Run' when prompted

[img width=400 height=263]http://www.ubuntu.com/sites/default/files/active/maverick/usb_windows_01_medium.jpg[/img]

4. If the security dialog appears, confirm by clicking 'Run'

[img width=400 height=198]http://www.ubuntu.com/sites/default/files/active/maverick/usb_windows_02_medium.jpg[/img]

5. Read the licence agreement and choose 'I Agree' to continue

[img width=400 height=306]http://www.ubuntu.com/sites/default/files/active/maverick/usb_windows_03_medium.jpg[/img]

6. Select Kubuntu Desktop Edition from the dropdown list

[img width=400 height=306]http://www.ubuntu.com/sites/default/files/active/maverick/usb_windows_04_medium.jpg[/img]

7. Click 'Browse' and open the downloaded ISO file

[img width=400 height=306]http://www.ubuntu.com/sites/default/files/active/maverick/usb_windows_05_medium.jpg[/img]
    [img width=400 height=319]http://www.ubuntu.com/sites/default/files/active/maverick/usb_windows_06_medium.jpg[/img]

8. Choose the USB drive and click 'Create'

[img width=400 height=307]http://www.ubuntu.com/sites/default/files/active/maverick/usb_windows_07_medium.jpg[/img]

Before installing you can test it out to see if everything is working fine with your hardware.

Comment

It may not be a problem for you, but I have an HP netbook. I'm currently running Maverick on it because Natty consistently locks up on the internal Broadcom wireless card. If your computer has broadcom devices be careful upgrading.

I had a broadcom wireless card in my Dell Vostro that would also lock up on Natty. Replacing it with an intel chip immediately solved the problem.

As soon as I get a spare $30 or so I plan on replacing that card in the netbook.

Very pleased with the netbook version of Kubuntu.

GreyGeek - thanks for the reminder about upgrading to 2GB of RAM. Forgot that was part of my evil plan.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
        It may not be a problem for you, but I have an HP netbook. I'm currently running Maverick on it because Natty consistently locks up on the internal Broadcom wireless card. If your computer has broadcom devices be careful upgrading.
        Which wireless card? Which netbook? Maybe we can help - I've got an HP (Compaq-branded, but HP) netbook with a BCM4312 card that works flawlessly.
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

OK, got the back cover off and found the card.

Model - HP Mini 110-3518CL

Wireless - Half size mini Broadcom (BCM94313HMG2LP1 A209)

It's a PCI Express Half Mini Card inside, and if anybody can recommend a better card, I don't mind spending a few $$$ to be done with Broadcom.

Comment

It's a PCI Express Half Mini Card inside, and if anybody can recommend a better card, I don't mind spending a few $$$ to be done with Broadcom.
            Mine's a Mini 110-1100DX with the BCM4312 card I mentioned earlier.

Intel's got about three half-height N cards available - newegg's out of two of them but here's the search results:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0PCI%20Express
            -- anais nin

Comment

Hi
              You didn't provide a lot of information about "the" computer itself.

I guess that we might assume that this is it? If not, it would maybe help some for us to have some more particulars.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/nett...nes-Mini-e.htm

As to "e-machines" in and of themselves, I bought a "returned" e-machine from Wal-Mart because it came "blank" with a cd for PCLinuxos. I installed and Ubu on it with absolutely no problem.

The instructions given above should work fine with the exception of the amount of memory, as noted, but still, unless you are going to do video games on it, it should still work, especially if you have the nVidia 9600 card, however, that in and of itself can cause problems.

And the reason for that is that sometimes any distro has problems with installin ON a 9600 card, Sometimes, depending on all of the rest of the hardware a distro will balk at a 9600 card, let you install with something lower and then you can enable the driver for the 9600.

So... There is also, the Debian "net install". You download the bare minimum to a memory stick and install from that. It will take probably and hour or several hours to get the rest of the distro on the machine but it does work.

Another option which is similar to the above instructions is Unetbootin as mentioned by josefko:

With it you download the "Unetbootin" to the usb but you already have the ".iso" on the computer and Unetbootin uses it.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/#features

either method should work ok, given the caveat of the 9600 card and 1 gig of memory.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000

Mine's a Mini 110-1100DX with the BCM4312 card I mentioned earlier.

Intel's got about three half-height N cards available - newegg's out of two of them but here's the search results:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0PCI%20Express
                Wizard - Thanks for the link! I was having some trouble getting the right search terms to get the card to come up in Newegg. The top result also has free shipping, wahoo!

Comment

Wizard - Thanks for the link! I was having some trouble getting the right search terms to get the card to come up in Newegg. The top result also has free shipping, wahoo!
                  That deal was good enough that I bought one for myself. My house has a gigabit backbone, my desktop PC has a gigabit NIC and all the access points are 802.11n so this should speed up file transfers between netbook and deslktop PC

If anybody else is interested the link is here - $23.99 with free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833106061

-- anais nin

Comment

If you bought the wireless card don't bother installing it

I got mine about an hour ago, threw it in the netbook and learned that the BIOS in these HP netbooks whitelists wireless devices - unless you're prepared to do some BIOS hacking not only will the wireless card not work, the netbook will refuse to boot with a green

104 unsupported WLAN device detected - system halted

and the netbook won't boot until you remove it.

-- anais nin

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Wizard!

Which leads to another question, is anybody running 11.04 on an HP Mini 110 Netbook?

I installed it right after it came out, and due to lockups, went back to 10.10.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Wizard!

Which leads to another question, is anybody running 11.04 on an HP Mini 110 Netbook?

I installed it right after it came out, and due to lockups, went back to 10.10.
                        I got it working

Found a hacked BIOS with the whitelist removed - used unetbootin to install FreeDOS on an SD card, flashed the BIOS with a DOS flash utility, installed the card and away it went. Check it out -

wizard@wizard-netbook:~$ sudo iwconfig wlan1
                        [sudo] password for wizard:
                        wlan1 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"xxxxxxxxxx"
                        Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: BC:AE:C5:C3:1B:A8
                        Bit Rate=270 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
                        Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
                        Encryption keyff
                        Power Managementff
                        Link Quality=63/70 Signal level=-47 dBm
                        Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
                        Tx excessive retries:1002 Invalid misc:183 Missed beacon:0

wizard@wizard-netbook:~$

And yeah - I run 11.04 on my Mini 110 - no issues. Maybe we can help with yours.

Rebooted for the first time after I enabled the card and the thing hooked in a whole lot better -

wizard@wizard-netbook:~$ sudo iwconfig wlan1
                        [sudo] password for wizard:
                        wlan1 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"xxxxxxxxxx"
                        Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: BC:AE:C5:C3:1B:A8
                        Bit Rate=300 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
                        Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
                        Encryption keyff
                        Power Managementff
                        Link Quality=65/70 Signal level=-45 dBm
                        Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
                        Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:55 Missed beacon:0

wizard@wizard-netbook:~$
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000

I got it working

Found a hacked BIOS with the whitelist removed - used unetbootin to install FreeDOS on an SD card, flashed the BIOS with a DOS flash utility, installed the card and away it went. Check it out -

I LOVE it -- you ARE the man, wiz!

Comment

True Geekdom!!! 8) 8) 8)

Script kiddie?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

*takes a bow*

Thanks, guys - but all I did was apply someone else's hack - which would make me a script kiddie, I guess

The post below contains a link to an archive containing the BIOS and the guy even provided a DOS flash utility and a short readme.

Remove whitelist check / add ID's to break hardware restrictions mod requests.

NOTE: I won't be responsible if you brick your netbook. Hacking your BIOS will void your warranty and if your netbook's' not exactly the same model as mine this hack may very well turn your netbook into a useless piece of plastic - and it might do so even if you *do* have the same netbook as me.

All I did was check to see that the hacked BIOS' original filename was the same as the one available for my netbook, that a couple of other people had successfully used the hack and then I went for it

There's enough information out there that I could have whitelisted the new WLAN card myself but I'm pretty rusty with a hex editor and somebody had already done the work. I don't have the knowledge to remove the entire whitelist though - and that's better than just changing a single entry so my new wireless card works

The only reason I can figure these things have WWAN and WLAN cards whitelisted is that some netbooks are tied to cellular carriers. One added benefit is the Intel wireless drivers are open source. It'll be interesting to see if I can do my next clean install over wireless

cheers -
                              -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                              X