This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome Look and Feel in KDE

I'm running Ubuntu x86_64 with KDE modules installed.

I had major problems making my gnome apps look modern under KDE, evolution to name one. I searched forever and since i found little info I wanted to post my fix.

Overview of the problem:

Since gnome apps are ran by GTK inside KDE, their look and feel isn't controlled by KDE. The hack to make GTK take on your KDE look and feel is called Geramik. Geramik piggy backs on a render engine called qtpixmap. If you run gnome apps in KDE you might see a large amount of warnings "Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap"," This is because your qtpixmap library is not configured correctly.

The fix seems to be this debian package: gtk2-engines-qtpixmap_0.28-1.1_amd64.deb
    I finally found it at: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/...gines-qtpixmap

This is only the first step to completing this puzzle. You will also require Geramik. Geramik makes the higher level link to your KDE look and feel.

Once you have Geramik setup correctly with this debian package you should be well on your way to a smile.

I must admit, I have installed about 20 packages along the way, so I hope this information is complete. Sadly I used adept to gather most of my packages so you will still likely have to fish a little.

Below is a list of other packages that got installed while I was doing this task, I don't know which ones are needed and which aren't.
    gdk-imlib11_1.9.14-29ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    gdk-imlib1_1.9.14-16ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb
    gdk-imlib11-dev_1.9.14-29ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    gtk2-engines-qtpixmap_0.28-1.1_amd64.deb
    gtk-engines-geramik-data_0.26-2_all.deb
    gtk-engines-qtpixmap_0.28-1.1_amd64.deb
    imlib-base_1.9.14-16ubuntu1.1_all.deb
    libpng10-0_1.0.15-6ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    qtpixmap_0.28.orig.tar.gz
    QtPixmap-0.28.tar.gz

When you finally get it working, the GTK warnings will no longer exists.
    Good luck, GO KDE!

-Orby
Working...
X