Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you recommend a printer for home use?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for a printer for my mother's dual-boot system. Currently she has a Dell, so she can only print from the Windows side. I'd like a replacement without that limitation, because other than printing she'd work on Kubuntu all the time.

After some time has elapsed since the last entry, what are current takes on the original question? What I'd like is a Linux-compatible printer, doesn't need to be all-in-one because the Dell does that and it works for faxing and copying, which is all she does besides print. The printer should be fairly easy to set up since I'm on the opposite coast. Wireless is preferable but not required, especially as the target price is about $100.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by cdupree; Nov 09, 2012, 12:17 AM.
    Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

If you're just looking to print b/w and cheaply I love the little Samsung lasers. I currently have an ML-2510. The print quality is great and the cartridges are cheap. The negatives are they don't work well with lightweight paper.

I have mine along side my HP Multifunction so my daughter can print her coloring pages without wasting expensive inkjet ink.

I suppose it depends on the model, but why won't the Dell printer work with linux?

http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/Dell/

Please Read Me

Comment

Every HP I have ever come across, even so called newer "smart-printers" have all worked absolutely perfectly after I have installed hplip. When I say perfect I mean printing, scanning, faxing, duplex, wifi, normal network, margins print normal etc. Basically everything you would expect from a printer. By the way hplip provides drivers for a ton of printers and comes with a really nice interface for you to manage your printers with. My personal experience has always been that HP printers have been really high quality but then again I have always forked out a little extra to get something from the top shelf.

One brand I have to warn you about is Lexmark! DO NOT GO NEAR LEXMARK PRINTERS! Firstly their overall build quality is awful, their catridges never last (although they are a bit cheaper) and the drivers are hell on earth or non-existent.

For basic printing and scanning you should be OK with any that uses CUPS. If Apple is supported by the printer then it will work on linux as they both use CUPS except in some rather rare cases. The Wifi component is really not a driver issue as the printer handle that itself.

Comment

Ii love my Epson Artison 730

Sent with Tapatalk2
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I agree 100% w/dmeyer when he says, "Every HP I have ever come across, even so called newer "smart-printers" have all worked absolutely perfectly after I have installed hplip."

Furthermore ... :-)
            ... There are sales everywhere. You might even find a model you like at Wal-Mart. I was once in the consulting biz and so had to buy a $1500 HP laser printer (the price at the time), but am no longer doing that. I found a $39 All-in-One HP printer at Wal-Mart a few months ago that does everything and more than I need; and hplip has a driver for it with a nice GUI front-end.

Kind of a no-brainer for me.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

The HP Deskjet 2050 is cheap. I've picked one up for $25 before (student deal though.) The price does vary but its usually cheapest at a retail store (kind of the reverse to what we are used). Cartridges lasted quite long and when they finally did run out I just bought a new printer instead because it was cheaper than replacing both cartridges!

It wasn't an environmentally friendly move though but at least I managed to sell it off for $15. I love how people think printers have to be so expensive!

Comment

That's the one I got -- HP 2050. Even my previous HP Deskjet printer-only was some $125, so at $39 the 2050 All-in-One was a 2-minute decision (I read the box copy on everything I buy ... ). Cartridges are, I think, $15 (maybe less?), so that's OK. But, if you do tons of printing, or need laser quality, well, you gotta look at that for your own situation.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I've really loved my HP LaserJet 1012. I've had it for many years and it runs on anything I've tossed at it.
                  6 or 7 years and I had to replace the cartridge due to storing it for a year and a half in ambient temps. 102+ to 20 or so F. will mess a cartridge up (I think the non-use was a big factor).
                  GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
                  X