This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade Help [SOLVED]

OK. Took a chance on the DVD I downloaded yesterday ahead of release for 11.04. Believe it or not that was a good gamble. MD5s compare. So, the help I need is I want to export my current installed files from APT for 10.10 and use it to reload in 11.04. There was a post here a couple of weeks ago that explained how to do that and now I can't find it. Anyone that knows how or can point me to the original post I'd more than appreciate it! Thanks!

Re: Upgrade Help

Originally posted by MoonRise
    OK. Took a chance on the DVD I downloaded yesterday ahead of release for 11.04. Believe it or not that was a good gamble. MD5s compare. So, the help I need is I want to export my current installed files from APT for 10.10 and use it to reload in 11.04. There was a post here a couple of weeks ago that explained how to do that and now I can't find it. Anyone that knows how or can point me to the original post I'd more than appreciate it! Thanks!
    Your wish is my command

Let's do all the work in your Documents directory so we can find it later.

cd Documents

dpkg --get-selections > installed-programs.txt

This will make a list of all your installed programs and dump it to a file called installed-programs.txt - it will also list any programs from a default install that you've removed. Back the file up to a safe place - your home directory should be backed up anyway, right?

Okay, then you do your install. We're gonna assume that installed-programs.txt is still in your Documents directory. Once you log on with your shiny new os, do

cd Documents

sudo dpkg --set-selections < installed-programs.txt

sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

All done. Notice that you don't need to be root to make the list but you *do* have to be root to set the selections or do the upgrade. Also, notice that the redirect symbols point in opposite directions - in the first one you're writing to a text file, in the second one you're reading from it.

Enjoy

edit: If you had any nonstandard repos in your old configuration you probably want to add those and update apt's cache first.

cheers -
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Grazie!

I believe you were the one who's original post I saw but couldn't find it! Again, Grazie!

Comment

Anytime. I would be interested in what you thought of the whole operation once you get it done.

I run that dump of installed packages as a nightly cron job on both my machines. It's saved my bacon more than once

cheers -
        -- anais nin

Comment

Did great! Basically my laptop is back as it was except for a few odd and ends that were manually installed. Thanks! This is a very simple means of updating other than it took forever to install all 700 packages I had extra.

Comment

Did great! Basically my laptop is back as it was except for a few odd and ends that were manually installed. Thanks! This is a very simple means of updating other than it took forever to install all 700 packages I had extra.
            I can share a trick on the manually-installed odds and ends that works for me. If I'm trying to install something that's not in the repos I always look for a PPA and add that to apt if I can instead of doing a manual install - then on an upgrade I just re-enable the PPAs and dpkg installs all that stuff too.

The only program I use that I haven't been able to find in someone's PPA is LaCie's Lightscribe editor, which in my book is the best one out there for Linux.

But - considering how much of a pain Lightscribe is in the first place - and that nobody makes a silver or white Lightscribe disc, I usually just use a Sharpie unless I'm doing something really important
            -- anais nin

Comment

Laptop back to full and desktop underway! Thanks! This really does help.

Comment

Minor issues with the desktop. Plasma is having issues. May have to wipe out ~\.kde. Will wait a while on that. Hate to have to redo all settings. The process was still flawless going this route so, yea!

Comment

>
                  Minor issues with the desktop. Plasma is having issues. May have to wipe out ~\.kde. Will wait a while on that. Hate to have to redo all settings. The process was still flawless going this route so, yea!
                  Don't wipe it, rename it. Log onto a root console and rename ~/.kde - the system will create you a clean configuration when you log on and you can just copy what you need from the old one.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

Actually that is what I meant. Went ahead and did that. Was getting really bad. That fixed it! Perfect system! Both machine in under 5 hours each and that is with 700+ apps/dependencies downloaded! That actual OS took about 30 minutes. I can say that 11.04 does seem snappier even on my laptop.

Comment

Re: Upgrade Help [SOLVED]

On my Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147, Natty runs very nicely.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                      X