This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

packet radio and soundmodem configuration

Does anyone have the soundmodem program running?

All I can get is configuration errors and start failures.

Part of the problem is undoubtedly pulseaudio, and padsp just plain does not help.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: packet radio and soundmodem configuration

I have not attempted it. I looked it up in Debian packages, found it only in the "stable" branch, and also see that it has a fairly daunting list of dependencies -- have you got them all?

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/soundmodem

Comment

Yes, I have it loaded, and all the stuff it wants. It is the the ubuntu repositories.

I discovered that it is necessary to load the ax25 kernel module with
      sudo modprobe ax25 or else put it in /etc/modules.

There is a web page "explaining" how to do it, but of course it ain't that simple:
      http://www.qbjnet.com/packet.html

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those long projects...

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Update:

The problem IS pulseaudio (surprise!!).

It runs on aptosid just fine. Soundmodem is an OSS application, and it runs correctly on aptosid with the command aoss soundmodem run as root. But aptosid has /dev/dsp and kubuntu does not. PADSP as near as I can tell does nothing.

So the question now becomes: how to get OSS applications to run on ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
        X