This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jonathan Riddell off kubuntu for one release

"...without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?" -Kent Brockman

Had not seen/heard this before:

"Personally, I'm looking forward to something different. I'm going on rotation from my normal position on Canonical's Desktop team working on Kubuntu over to the Bazaar team. This means a challenging six months working on something completely different. After more than 5 years working on Kubuntu I'm feeling the need to ensure I can do other things. I also want to take some distro packager skills to another team to help them integrate more. I'll be a challenge to the Kubuntu community too, continuing to make a great distro without anyone working full time on it. But they're excellent folks and I'm sure they will manage for one release without me."

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4414

Re: Jonathan Riddell off kubuntu for one release

folks have to do that from time to time to recharge the batteries and keep the skill set broad enough to be useful. During the last five years of my working career I focused entirely on Qt programming. After a couple years it amazed me how much stuff related to Java, APEX, python, Foxpro, VB and html scripting disappeared from my memory. After nearly 4 years of retirement I am amazed at how much of Qt is gone. But, that may be related to my sometimers.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      folks have to do that from time to time to recharge the batteries and keep the skill set broad enough to be useful...
      Absolutely... it would just be nice to see Canonical assigning someone else full-time during his break.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
        Absolutely... it would just be nice to see Canonical assigning someone else full-time during his break.
        +1 on that!

Comment

For sure, but Natty is in good shape and Lucid's LTS will keep us going until April 2013, so we won't be hurting much.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Oneiric isn't slated to have anything major, either so this release cycle probably is the best one for him to be away from - though he still will be around for us to pester him

Scott Kitterman, Harald Sitter, Jonathan Thomas, and the rest of the packaging and coding ninjas and doc writers provide a wonderful set of hands for Jonathan Riddell to pass things off to temporarily.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
              Scott Kitterman, Harald Sitter, Jonathan Thomas, and the rest of the packaging and coding ninjas and doc writers provide a wonderful set of hands for Jonathan Riddell to pass things off to temporarily.
              Thanks for naming these other major contributors... I see Thomas' name mentioned here now and then but had not heard of the others... the wikis, etc. typically lists just irc names.

Thank you to everyone that makes kubuntu possible!

Comment

and then there is:

Rohan Garg
                Valorie Zimmerman
                Michał Zając
                Rodrigo Belem
                Alex Fiestas
                Tarun K. Mall
                Steve Stalcup
                Philip Muskovac
                Stephen Kelly