X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless with Netgear

So i'm kinda on my last nerve with this:
    I cannot connect to my wireless at home with ANY Ubuntu based and/or related distro of Linux (no matter the desktop). Along with most Debian based distro's. HOWEVER, I know the wireless works fine under Linux cause I can connect effortlessly anywhere else, even to other Netgear routers. There are no passwords on my home one and Distros like OpenSuse and OpenSolaris connect fine (no matter the desktop).
    It has been like since Linux Mint 9 KDE (I don't know what version of Ubuntu it was based off of, I assume 9.10).
    To even go online I need to use a wireless dongle that's nearly broken my USB port a few times.

Here's the quick details, (I'll get more later but at the moment I'm using Windows Vista on the same notebook, wirelessly I might add.):

Sony VAIO VGN-NR120E Notebook computer.
    Atheros AR5001x wireless card using the Ath5k driver.
    Kubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Re: Wireless with Netgear

According to this: "HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsDlin k" - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...workCardsDlink the Atheros AR5001X works out-of-the-box in Ubuntu.

Are you absolutely sure that you have an Atheros AR5001x wireless card using the Ath5k driver? I ask this because some manufacturers use wireless card (a) in a laptop, then change it to card (b), then change it for card (c); so general specs are not a good guide. Have you tried the command?:
    lspci
    - What appears against network controller?

Generally, have you looked ar "Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers" #8. Networking Issues: 8.a. Wireless Doesn't Work."...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

this is going to be short since im on my phone:
      The way i know that it's specifically the Atheros AR5001x because the network utility built into PCLinuxOS says it. And according to Ubuntu, Ubuntu uses the ath5k driver.
      Now, it DOES work out of the box. everywhere except at home however, where i have to use the wireless dongle.

Comment

So an 'open' AP on your router at home, at least, no password set. But is the SSID being broadcast, or is it 'hidden?'
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The SSID isn't hidden. Plus, if it means anything at all, Ubuntu-based Linux's are the only thing that has a problem with it. Mac OS X, Mac OS Classic, Windows OS's and other Linux Distro's work.

Comment

Any ideas? Anybody?

Comment

Just did a fresh install of Beta 2 of Natty Narwhal and it will connect, but it can fairly slow. Somewhere between 0-150kbs.

Comment

Working...
              X