This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] I need some advice/help

This is specifically a question I need an answer to for my father, but I need it as well.

In Kubuntu 10.04 / 11.04, one does not require an /etc/fstab entry for a pluggable USB floppy drive. Plug one it and it gets mounted and is available via Dolphin etc. But, fire up Ubuntu (10.10 in this case), and the floppy drive does not get recognized.

How does one get Ubuntu to automount a USB floppy when it's inserted (the USB floppy drive is conntected pre-boot)?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: I need some advise/help

I think you're fighting nature there, Snowhog. Just leave the floppy unplugged, until you need it. The USB notifier is designed to anticipate "hot plugged" devices. So, feed it your floppy drive when you need it, and it will take care of you!

Comment

Re: I need some advise/help

Maybe, but I don't have to play that game in Kubuntu. There, my USB Floppy is connected to the USB Hub all the time. When I insert a floppy into the drive, it mounts and shows available in Dolphin. This is the behavior I expect.

But, in Ubuntu this is not the case. The package pmount is installed, but it doesn't automount the inserted floppy diskette as it should. If I install usbmount, then it does automount, but as root, so as a user, I can't doing anything but look at the contents. I can't even unmount the floppy for safe removal, as Ubuntu reports that it isn't mounted via /etc/fstab (true), and that I am not 'root' (also true). So, I can't do anything with it.

2011-03-21
      /lib/udev/rules.d/60-floppy.rules in Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same. Something in Ubuntu is missing/not installed that is present/installed in Kubuntu. But what?

Comment

[RESOLVED] Re: I need some advise/help

Solution found!

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1641104

With the USB Floppy drive connected, open a Terminal and type:
        Code:
        sudo blkid -c /dev/null
        to find the drives /dev/xxx enumeration. Here, it's /dev/sda

In the Terminal type:
        Code:
        udisks --mount /dev/sda
        (again, this is for my enumerated floppy drive)

The floppy mounts and is shown in Places. If the diskette has a label, it's identified with the label name. If it's an unlabeled diskette, it appears as disk

Click on it and it opens in Nautilis with your permissions.

Comment

Working...
        X