X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sceencast for kubuntu

Hi,

I want to use a desktop recorder for my kubuntu but I didn't find any suitable one for me, because I want a recorder generates small size records (just like instant demo).
    could you please help me?

I tested the following software but they didn't fit my needs:
    recordmydesktop, xvidcap, istanbul, kazam & recorditnow

I found byzanz most suitable for me although it doesn't support sound for small size records (gif format), but in case there are no alternative to instantdemo in Linux
    how can I use byzanz in KDE without need to open the terminal (I prefer GUI softwares)?

Re: Sceencast for kubuntu

Well, there is one nice program, but unfortanetly, it's GNOME only But if you don't care about that, than here it is: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/try-k...plication.html

Edit: Never mind. I'm sorry for misreading your post. You already tried it. In that case, I dunno of any alternatives except for recormydesktop, which you also tried.
    Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

old article, but--

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/?p=815
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I personally never had much luck with GUI apps for this.....but if you have ffmpeg installed then something like this should work

Code:
        ffmpeg -r 30 -s 1024x768 -f x11grab -i :0.0 -f oss -i /dev/dsp -vcodec msmpeg4v2 -qscale 2 filename.avi

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny,

wow!!! That is so cool. I've already made an alias in my .bashrc for that line.

And, sorry to hijack but the resulting avi file is huge. Have you got another quick CLI command to compress it?
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
            I personally never had much luck with GUI apps for this.....but if you have ffmpeg installed then something like this should work
            Code:
            ffmpeg -r 30 -s 1024x768 -f x11grab -i :0.0 -f oss -i /dev/dsp -vcodec msmpeg4v2 -qscale 2 filename.avi
            ffmpeg doesn't solve the issue because it's not suitable for small size screenscasts, it's just like any traditional recorder (records full frames) where instantdemo or byzanz/gif records backgrounds with differences of them for that you'll find screencast size very small by comparing with any encoding.

Comment

Working...
            X