X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clementine Media Player

Originally posted by woodsmoke
    Hi, you're correct to be confused because my post was not well written.

The Windows version doesn't do anything for me it just collapses on Vista business. but the latest Linux version does play cds and .pls files for me on Lucid SuperOS, this is the Clementin that is the download from the site itself.

A version I tried just a month or so ago did NOT play cds , using the one in the repos.

The only reason I have the one I'm using now is because of this tread. I had basically written it off. But, because of the thread I went to the site and downloaded it to fiddle with it.

Again I've been mainly doing this is on Lucid Super OS and with the latest version of Clementine from their site, Version 0.6 r2402,

It also works with Meerkat, but with the caveat of going from the cd to Clementine, not playing the cd from within clementine, it does work for me.

As to why it works one way and not the other i have no clue.

so...it seems as if the petition letter did light a fire someplace and they got it working

woodsmoke
    I downloaded Clementine from the website and cannot get it to run, I'm not sure what you mean by saying you run it from the CD and not within Clementine?

Comment

Hi GG
      Glad to 'splain!

A half a year ago, and a coupla months ago, when the Linux world had found Clementine, I downloaded it, and I could not go from the file structure within Clementin, that is. if I went to "file" or now to "music" and tried to play a "place" or a "file" or a "folder", Clementine would not a) see a .pls and it would not "play" a cd, that means that the cd is spinning in the tray.

Banshee the same. except that Banshee would "import" the tracks off the cd onto the hard drive and play them from the hard drive.

The above is what I call "playing from within the application, Clementine or Banshee.

Let's take Amarok. We all know that we can put a cd in the tray, and that the distro will pop a window asking what we want to do and we can chose, "play with" and choose Amarok.

I call that "playing from outside the application.

In other words I have a notifier on the desktop that a cd is in the tray what do I want to do with it.

Now, we all know, also, that one can close that notifier. The cd will sit in the tray. We can go get come coffee or soda. Come back and open Amarok and navigate to the cd and the cd's tracks will appear and they start playing.

The disk is spinning.

With Clementine, I can go FROM within Clementine and navigate TO the cd and open it and the tracks appear, i click the topmost file designation in the left hand window, the whole cd, not just a track and it will start playing, the light in the cd tray is on and the cd is spinning.

Celemntine is not moving the tracks to the hard drive it is playing the cd from the cd.

i can also go from the cd, and choose a player and Clementine will play the cd.

In Banshee I cannot seem to go from within the program, that is go to the file structure of Banshee and pick play a file or click the "cd" icon that appears and play the cd with the cd spinning etc.

However, I can, when the distro pops the window choose from Amarok, Clementine, VLC and Banshee to play with this thing....and Banshee starts playing the cd and it is not "moving the tracks to the hard drive" it is playing the cd.

UNLESS Banshee is somehow doing both functions at once.

Which Clementine may be doing also.

In other words, the application, Clementine or Banshee is moving the tracks to the hard drive and also playing them at the same time "in real time".

I do NOT think that is happening because there are no tracks "on" the hard drive that I can find.

I can change cd after cd totally different music, jackie gleason, Craig Armstrong The Space Between Us, Thriller(Richard Diamond t.v. music) and it sure LOOKS as if they are playing the cd.

However, Clementine, I can go from the application and navigate to thriller and the click a track and the cd tray light pops on and it sounds like it is playing

That does not happen with banshee but with both Banshee and Clementine I can start from the "what do you want to do" window, and chose either and it plays.

Just as a CHECK....

I played all the way through the Jackie Gleason cd, it is actually two "cds" Music, Martini's and Memories and Tawney and about at the second from the last track it started "skipping' so that means to me that the read/write head was getting to "bound up" the closer it got to the spindle and was skipping, which would probably not happen if the tracks were being copied to the hard drive...

It might skip while doing so but later the track would play.

Again, this is on Lucid Super OS and the latest updated Meerkat with the latest version of Clementine from the site and Banshee.

sorry for the confusion i was using non-standard language.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke

Celemntine is not moving the tracks to the hard drive it is playing the cd from the cd.

i can also go from the cd, and choose a player and Clementine will play the cd.

woodsmoke

If I put a CD into the drive the notifier only has Amarok and Kaffeine as choices, do you know how to add Clementine?

Comment

Working...
        X