This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clementine Media Player

I have posted this on the Linux Mint forum, can I ask people on here to do the same, thanks.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=67785

Re: Clementine Media Player

I think there was discussion of this at some other forum and they said that it was kind of off their radar. I agree completely and did the deed.

But, I have had a special interest in my heart for "media players" since the days back at Xan... It seems that every distro at which I've participated I made exhaustive lists of media/music players and what their capabilities were and nobody.....seemed to care....either the end users or the developers...

It just seems as though some folks just don't care...and that is probably just MY perspective, viewing the situation from the OUTside...

Since a lot of them never actually REPLY to pleas from the community it seems as if it is an "exercise" for them and they also want to be "different" than other folks, but that they will do what they do...

The benign thought of this is that they are hard worked, and all that

the conspiratorial theory is that they like to seem superior to all us doofs...

the plain and simple theory is that... @#$t happens...

so...dunno...

I mean the number of abortive media/music players that litter the Linux landscape in our rear view mirrors.. is kind of disheartening...

I would hope that they respond to the heartfelt hopes of the community., the community really does...

NEED, and I don't use that term often, some competition for Amarok....

I mean qmmp is a MARVELOUS player....I just LOVE it, and it does it all, with just a couple of small cli things...but.. the "look" of Amarok and the "look" of Clementine are somewhat similar, but still different and there are a LOT of people that like that kind of interface..

Again, I hope they listen and thanks for the post...

EVERYBODY who REALLY want's that kind of interface SHOULD go and vote...otherwise....they should NOT complain...

woodsmoke

Comment

cd, what is this cd thing I keep hearing about

Comment

Crossdresser
        Closing Date
        Cloth Diapering
        Cloth Diapers
        Crazy dance
        Seedy
        Change Directory
        Cadmium
        Certificate of Deposit

Ya gotta think about that last one a little! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke

EVERYBODY who REALLY want's that kind of interface SHOULD go and vote...otherwise....they should NOT complain...

woodsmoke

I have been assured by David Sansome, the lead developer, that he will consider it seriously if there is enough interest. I would also add that on the Linux MInt forum there were nothing but support for this request.

Comment

sounds like a plan!

woodsmoke

Comment

sounds like a plan!

woodsmoke
              It looks like it being taken seriously as the priority has been moved from low to medium.

http://code.google.com/p/clementine-...ummary%20Stars

Comment

Well, dunno what's goin' on but.... Clementine is playing Jackie Gleason's: Music, Martinis and Memories cd for me right now on SuperOS...I'll flip to Kubu and see what's shakin'.

woodsmoke

Comment

Hi
                  Using the download from the Clementine site, it does indeed play cds in MM.

However, going from MM to the cd didn't work so well, MM mounted the cd, found the music but then "jammed".

I then went from the cd in dolphin to Clementine and it did play.

I think that possibly doing the "find media" thing with a cd in the player would not produce this situation, but it is playing a cd.

Version 0.6 r2402.

woodsmoke

Comment

Just figured something out, in MM, it sees the cd, but says that a .wav is an unrecognized format, so it converts the .mv to an mp3 and plays it that way. That is not what happens in SuperOS, that OS sees the cd tracks and plays through them, or seems to.

woodsmoke

Comment

Since I'm just a hardware kinda guy this will probably be my last input on this, but, there is a "media player" in the plasma widgets.

When one tries to play a cd with it there is an error message: "can only play local files".

So. I searched that, and there are quite a few posts here in Kubu about "only open local files" in Open Office, etc. that are on a network.

However, as stated above, Amarok, does, indeed open the cd and play the tracks, so apparently Amarok can play a "non-local file".

And Clementine in SuperOS can play the cd as a cd not import the tracks.

So, apparently, there is something going on with Clementine and Kubu, about playing "non-local" files. What that might be I have absolutely no clue, it might be that there is a "setting" some place, there was a thread by ...GreyGeek I think from several years ago about kScd and local files.

So....like I said, this is completely over my head, it is just some observations about Clementine's behaviour on two different OSs.

woodsmoke

Comment

Since I'm just a hardware kinda guy this will probably be my last input on this, but, there is a "media player" in the plasma widgets.

When one tries to play a cd with it there is an error message: "can only play local files".

So. I searched that, and there are quite a few posts here in Kubu about "only open local files" in Open Office, etc. that are on a network.

However, as stated above, Amarok, does, indeed open the cd and play the tracks, so apparently Amarok can play a "non-local file".

And Clementine in SuperOS can play the cd as a cd not import the tracks.

So, apparently, there is something going on with Clementine and Kubu, about playing "non-local" files. What that might be I have absolutely no clue, it might be that there is a "setting" some place, there was a thread by ...GreyGeek I think from several years ago about kScd and local files.

So....like I said, this is completely over my head, it is just some observations about Clementine's behaviour on two different OSs.

woodsmoke
                        I tried Clementine on Win 7 and that doesn't play CDs either, anyway the developers acknowledge it doesn't work so why should I doubt them. As for Amarok, I have had it working with Mint 9, sort of, but it just screwed in 10.

Comment

I assume you're referring to Windblows and yes it doesn't work for me there either, but it does play cds and plays streams on Lucid as of a few days ago.

woodsmoke

Comment

I assume you're referring to Windblows and yes it doesn't work for me there either, but it does play cds and plays streams on Lucid as of a few days ago.

woodsmoke
                            I am confused now because you said this earlier.

Using the download from the Clementine site, it does indeed play cds in MM.

Comment

Hi, you're correct to be confused because my post was not well written.

The Windows version doesn't do anything for me it just collapses on Vista business. but the latest Linux version does play cds and .pls files for me on Lucid SuperOS, this is the Clementin that is the download from the site itself.

A version I tried just a month or so ago did NOT play cds , using the one in the repos.

The only reason I have the one I'm using now is because of this tread. I had basically written it off. But, because of the thread I went to the site and downloaded it to fiddle with it.

Again I've been mainly doing this is on Lucid Super OS and with the latest version of Clementine from their site, Version 0.6 r2402,

It also works with Meerkat, but with the caveat of going from the cd to Clementine, not playing the cd from within clementine, it does work for me.

As to why it works one way and not the other i have no clue.

so...it seems as if the petition letter did light a fire someplace and they got it working

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X