Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

App for selecting/deselecting photos for digital frame?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

App for selecting/deselecting photos for digital frame?

I created a digital frame from an old laptop that's running kubuntu 10.04. i'm using the desktop background to randomly display photos from another desktop via wireless connection and NFS.

Right now, the photos selected are pooled from the entire list of photos. Over 3000 digital pictures. Personally, i don't have problem showing any or all of these, but my wife and others have requested that some photos not be shown. (I can somewhat understand this!)

The photos are all on an external hard drive in one main Pictures folder with many organizing subfolders. I don't want to change this structure, nor do i want to have to duplicate it just to display the photos.

What I'm looking to do is this......
    Is there an app or other way to have a list of the photos (preferably by viewing the photos) and deselect undesirable photos?
    Or.. how can I write (where to start) my own app for selecting and displaying photos in a random slideshow format.

I'm using the kde background because at the same time i'm using a custom panel to show a digital clock and weather forcast.

Any ideas?
    danuntu

Re: App for selecting/deselecting photos for digital frame?

Originally posted by danuntu
    I created a digital frame from an old laptop that's running kubuntu 10.04. i'm using the desktop background to randomly display photos from another desktop via wireless connection and NFS.

Right now, the photos selected are pooled from the entire list of photos. Over 3000 digital pictures. Personally, i don't have problem showing any or all of these, but my wife and others have requested that some photos not be shown. (I can somewhat understand this!)

The photos are all on an external hard drive in one main Pictures folder with many organizing subfolders. I don't want to change this structure, nor do i want to have to duplicate it just to display the photos.

What I'm looking to do is this......
    Is there an app or other way to have a list of the photos (preferably by viewing the photos) and deselect undesirable photos?
    Or.. how can I write (where to start) my own app for selecting and displaying photos in a random slideshow format.

I'm using the kde background because at the same time i'm using a custom panel to show a digital clock and weather forcast.

Any ideas?
    danuntu
    Tellya how I did it - and yeah, I saw the part about not duplicating the photos so this may not work for you

I'd copy all the pix to another directory then just delete the photos you don't want displayed. To pseudo-randomize the photos here's what I did - what this does is rename each jpeg to a random number between 0 and 32767. I also used this script to randomize mp3 filenames and wrote them to DVD over the holidays when I just wanted Christmas music playing in the background.

#/bin/bash

for fname in *.jpg
    do
    mv "$fname" $RANDOM.jpg
    done

Hope this helps -
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

...The photos are all on an external hard drive in one main Pictures folder with many organizing subfolders. I don't want to change this structure, nor do i want to have to duplicate it just to display the photos...

> KPhotAlbum (KDE Photo Album)

The KPhotoAlbum will scan the selected directory and the subdirectories for the images. It is in the repositories.

...What I'm looking to do is this......
      Is there an app or other way to have a list of the photos (preferably by viewing the photos) and deselect undesirable photos?...
      > KDE UserBase - KPhotoAlbum FAQ
      Is there a feature to export filenames for a list of images?

Just select the pictures you are interested in, and drag and drop the images into your terminal window (for example, Konsole or gnome-terminal).

You can also use the Edit -> Copy menu item

Remember that some editors do not support drag and drop properly
      After the KPhotAlbum has scanned the images > Show Thumbnails > pick all images (Ctrl-a) > Unpick the unwanted (Ctrl - click the mouse left button) > copy the file list (Ctrl-c) > Open a text file and "drop" the file list (Ctrl-v).
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

these are great ideas. however, my goal is to have something more dynamic; as in to leave the original photos as they are and have the slideshow ignore certain ones. i started this project writing (learning) my own code to not only show the images randomly but also to show the clock and forecast with a transparent background. And, after much anguish, found that kubuntu had the ability to do just what i wanted. it's just that the background route doesn't seem to give the option to exclude photos.
        The other problem with that is the OS is really unnecessary, so another thought was to create my own OS just for the job. But i'm REALLY unsure how to do that.

danuntu

EDIT: Am I asking too much?

EDIT: I also tried FEH. I had that working fine, but couldn't get the scaling right and still had the same problems as above

Comment

I'd suggest using DigiKam as a photo management solution. You wont have to move or copy photos anywhere. You can set a Tag on all the photos in DigiKam, then just un-tag the ones you do not want displayed. Use the 'My Tags' Pane on the left side to filter the photos that only have the desired tags then press F9 to start a slide show (or Alt-Shift-F9 for advanced settings).

As far as the widgets go you can go into System Settings>Desktop Effects>All Effects and change the dashboard settings maximum towards Lighter and Colored. Then you can just hit CTRL-F12 to have the plasma widgets show on top of the slideshow as it is playing.

Couple things you may need to check/change...
          - If the dashboard does not appear check System Settings>Shortcuts and Gestures>Global Keyboard Shortcuts>Plasma Desktop Shell and see that the 'Show Dashboard' keybinding is set.
          - You may want to change the Panel to auto-hide or it will show up in the dashboard view.

Comment

Originally posted by danuntu
            EDIT: Am I asking too much?
            Hell, yes!! you are asking too much , but take a look here: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...?content=98455
            ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Working...
            X