This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu to switch to KDE as default?

I read somewhere online that Ubuntu will be switching to the KDE desktop as its default some time in the future. Does that mean that Kubuntu and Ubuntu will merge -- and if not, what might be the distinction between them? Personally, I think that would be a good thing.

Re: Ubuntu to switch to KDE as default?

well you mite think it would then be kubuntu as that is what kubuntu is .....ubuntu with the KDE desktop environment instead of the Gnome one

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ubuntu is switching to Unity as default, not KDE:

http://www.osnews.com/story/23944/Ub...ity_on_Desktop
      Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Shuttleworth had made some comments about how he liked KDE, but also was trying to incorporate Qt components (which generally have been better supported in KDE) to allow Nokia compatibility.

The Unity idea is to have a streamlined UI that can take the best of Gnome, KDE, Qt and make sure all are compatible.

It makes a lot of sense, but has angered the Gnome community (and possibly the KDE community, although KDE always seems a little more laid back).

The problem is with the licensing. Canonical is going to proprietary licensing, from all accounts. That allows them to keep editorial control, but has angered the Debian community no end.

Personally, I am considering Debian with a KDE desktop (which is essentially what Kubuntu is anyway).

Debian hasn't been quite as streamlined and well-marketed as (K)Ubuntu, but it is the underlying OS for the largest number of Linux OS forks, and because it is truly free and open source is likely to have the best longevity.

I think Canonical wants to be Red Hat, and there really is no problem with that. But Ubuntu exists by the grace of Debian developers (unlike Red Hat) and has to be careful. Ubuntu is replaceable (if it becomes too proprietary).

Still, the bottom line is whether software is provided free and is open source (which really encompasses a lot of variety of licensing options). Software can be copyrighted yet still be free (not costing anything, anyway) and open source (the code is published for open examination). This is not GNU GPL license compatible, but is still palatable for a large number of consumers.

A tricky line to walk.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
        X