X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel 2.6.37 ?

Hi

Just noticed that 2.6.37 has been released. So far as I am able to tell, this is the one with the super-duper 200 line speed patch.

I have a few questions:

1 Anyone here used it?

2. If so does it make any difference for you you?

3. Would I be likely to notice any difference on my 32 bit Dell laptop?

4. If so, I want it Any tips on getting it on maverick or (better) do you think it will be backported?

Thanks

Re: kernel 2.6.37 ?

I just installed a 2.6.37 kernel yesterday on aptosid -- running it now. Having set up the OS on a PCI-e SSD and tweaked the system for optimal performance, I cannot say with confidence that it is any faster running the 2.6.37 than with a 2.6.36. It is fast.

If you can free up a 5GB partition, or a USB stick with persistence, you could install aptosid 2010-03, then update it, and you'll have a 2.6.37 kernel to test.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      I just installed a 2.6.37 kernel yesterday on aptosid -- running it now. Having set up the OS on a PCI-e SSD and tweaked the system for optimal performance, I cannot say with confidence that it is any faster running the 2.6.37 than with a 2.6.36. It is fast.
      Thanks

I'm at work on a windows box right now but IIRC with kubuntu we're still on 2.6.35. wonder if at some stage the aptosid devs applied the patch to the 2.6.36 kernel, as the patch has been around for a couple of months now.

BTW took a look at the aptosid forums a day or 2 ago - noticed you contribute there too. I'll take a look at your suggestion when I have a bit of time (and a certain lady isn't looking )

Comment

*buntu is not famous for backporting kernels to prior releases. If I can get VMware to compile on my 2.6.37 kernel, I'll open my Kubuntu 11.04 VM and tell you what kernel it's using -- I think it might be a 2.6.37 as well. You could burn a daily build Live CD and check it.

Comment

You could burn a daily build Live CD and check it.
          i might just do that tonight.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

According to phoronix forums 200 line patch is 2.6.38 only:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...159#post164350
            Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Natty 11.04 is indeed 2.6.37-12, at this point.

I notice no difference in speed between maverick and natty, but I suspect that is because what limits my system's apparent speed is video processing and not the kernel.

Is there a benchmarking program to check overall system speed?
              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. So I'm jumping the gun then.

I suspect that before 2.6.38 is out 11.04 final will be released so I might as well wait for that.

Will still take a look at aptosid though, looks interesting

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd

Is there a benchmarking program to check overall system speed?
                  Good news and bad news.

Good news: yes, there is an excellent, thorough, extensive test suite called "phoronix test suite".

Bad news: You'll need a Master's degree in linux testing to (a) figure out which tests are relevant to your system, and (b) interpret the test results. :P

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator

Will still take a look at aptosid though, looks interesting
                    Note the difference in running updates -- don't try it using a GUI, or while X is running, and don't use a GUI app to install software either. Other than that, and the use of the root user rather than "sudo", your Kubuntu/KDE skills will be perfectly suited.

Comment

Note the difference in running updates
                      And definitely not apt-get autoremove, gui or any other way.

I did try compiling a program that takes a couple of minutes, and didn't see any difference between maverick and natty. Maybe not a scientifically valid result, but a useful result anyway. We'll see what 2.6.38 brings.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

As I think was probably apparent my interest was not in the kernel per se, but the recent patch.

Via the ubuntu forum I have found this:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sHRYRuAN

It does seem to make things a bit snappier, but with hindsight I thought I would enquire whether any of you see anything risky in it, in which case I'll reverse it?

Comment

It does seem to make things a bit snappier, but with hindsight I thought I would enquire whether any of you see anything risky in it, in which case I'll reverse it?
                          I'm not aware of any risks, but you might want to revisit it when the patched kernel (.38) comes out (the userland modification should be obsolete by then, and possibly could cause issues). Not sure whether 2.6.38 will make it into Natty, but we'll see.

*buntu is not famous for backporting kernels to prior releases.
                          As per the *buntu release/upgrade policy, new major kernel versions go to the devel version (that's basically the "rolling-release, bleeding edge" version for *buntus).

Natty's kernels have come from the 2.6.37 branch for a good while (although they have obviously been based on the pre-release versions of 2.6.37.)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                            I'm not aware of any risks, but you might want to revisit it when the patched kernel (.38) comes out (the userland modification should be obsolete by then, and possibly could cause issues). Not sure whether 2.6.38 will make it into Natty, but we'll see.
                            I'll bear that in mind, thanks. As I'm running Maverick I suspect it will be some time before I actually see the kernel. I've saved the mods

Comment

It is possible to have the 2.6.37 Kernel to the Lucid&Maverick > Topic: FAQ: Kernel.

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                              X