X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Downloading X/K/Ubuntu 8.10

Hi all

Where can I find 8.10? I've been looking for a torrent or direct download link for 2 hours now and can't seem to find one.
    I need to install it on a pretty old PC (AMD Athlon 1.1Ghz, 512mb RAM, 128mb nVidia FX5200)
    I tried xubuntu 10.04 on it today but it's just too slow and the sound doesn't work either.

Thanks,
    ElWray
    Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Re: Downloading X/K/Ubuntu 8.10

I don't know where you can find torrent for 8.10 but I think the best option for your old PC is Lubuntu. It flies on my old PC.
    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Thanks, I'm gonna try that
      Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Comment

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

From experience, I can say that *buntu is not very optimal on old PC's.

I remember how slow Xubuntu was compared with PCLinuxOS (KDE 3.5) on my Futjitsu siemens Laptop with 1.6 GHz CPU and 192 MB RAM.

Of course, the performance was reversed when I tried both OS'es on my Pentium4.

I'm not imposing anything, but I also suggest trying the PCLinuxOS enlightenment - light edition. You might like it, and it runs quite fast

URL for torrents : http://torrent.ibiblio.org/doc/191/torrents
          Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Thanks a lot.
            Both for the *buntus and the PCLinuxOS torrents.
            I got lots of friends needing better operating systems than windoze...some of those pcs are ancient (I've already convinced most of them to switch and they're happy with Linux ).
            These links will sure be very useful.

Thanks a lot again,
            ElWray

Comment

Re: [Solved] Downloading X/K/Ubuntu 8.10

DistroWatch is your 'one-stop Linux shop.' The wonderful thing about DistroWatch is that they have links to 'all' versions of all the listed Linux distro's, and they have a LOT of Linux distros to choose from.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: [Solved] Downloading X/K/Ubuntu 8.10

Originally posted by Snowhog
                DistroWatch is your 'one-stop Linux shop.' The wonderful thing about DistroWatch is that they have links to 'all' versions of all the listed Linux distro's, and they have a LOT of Linux distros to choose from.
                +1 on that

@ElWray ... I'v had good luck with Ulite xubuntu slax and puppy on 128RAM old stuff befor.

and curentley puppy is runing well on Dell inspiron 2100 700Mhz-CPU 128-RAM ATI-mobility-GPU

xubuntu seams to nead just a little more RAM than that .....and I havent tryed lubuntu YET.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                X