This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless HP Pavilion DV7-3160US Notebook

For some time I have been attempting to get wireless to work on this laptop. It has a AR9285 adapter. It KDE Network manager recognises the Comcast modem in the scan, I have tried several permutations of code (modem MAC, WAN/MAN MAC, WAN MAC, MAC reported, passphrase in hex / text - in the key field) in the BSSID and wireless security key however it still will not make the connection.

The most upsetting irony is that I have gotten two windows laptops connected to the linksys router/modem since I purchased this machine, I just did my girlfriends new laptop this morning - Windows 7.

Attached are the results of various interrogations.

Thanks for any assistance,
    Scott
    Attached Files

Re: Wireless HP Pavilion DV7-3160US Notebook

Are you running Maverick? If 'yes,' see if you have linux-backports-modules-wireless-maverick-generic installed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes I am running Maverick and no I do not have the Backports installed .... install the generic ?

Comment

Using KPackageKit I am getting the following message from the generic...

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
        linux-backports-modules-wireless-maverick-generic: Depends: linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.35-23-generic but it is not installable

linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.35-22 shows up in the distribution list....

Comment

Are you running Maverick?

Oops. Yes, you are.

Open a console and attempt the installation of the package. Type:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-maverick-generic
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Interesting got the Backports installed, rebooted and now the KDE Network Management scan does not resolve the Linksys wireless modem, "iwlist wlan0 scan" does still resolves the ESSID...... ?

iwconfig - does not resolve the ESSID anymore either ?

ifconfig - now has a "wlan0" and a "wlan0:avahi"....

Comment

Attached the results of iwconfig, ifconfig and iwlist after installing the Backports....
              Attached Files

Comment

Still curious as to why adding the "backport" would cause this computer to not "recognize" the SSID broadcast from my LinkSys modem. Before the "backport" the SSID was found but it would not connect - I have connected two Windows laptops to this router since.....

.....any suggestions ?

Comment

I solved the problem by installing "Mint". I started with Gnome, the wireless was recognized and I was good to go. I wanted KDE so I applied KDE, its interface for wireless gave me some issues, so my not connecting may have been a user issue. With persistence I managed to get it going.

In addition to wireless "Mint" had the cube working for some reason composting with Kubuntu on my Pavilion did not work.

Comment

Working...
                  X