X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading.....is it really that hard?

Hi,
    I am a new Kubuntu 10.10 user having migrated from PCLinuxOS which as you know is a rolling release. I must say Kubuntu is working much better for my needs.(when I want to install something it is in the repos where as in PCLINUX I was constantly disappointed when the package was unavailable) Anyway, I have been reading complaints of people having to format their computers when it comes to distro upgrades because the upgrade usually fails. I went to the page showing how to do the upgrades and it really looks easy. My question is....Is it really that hard or distructive? When I was using PCLinuxOS I had to reinstall the OS several times because an update crashed my system and I couldn't figure out the solution. I was told that I had to update my machine each day so that I wouldn't get far behind in the updates. I am not bashing PCLinux as it introduced me to Linux in a very friendly way but as far as I am concerned... I don't think it makes much of a difference using a rolling release or taking a chance with an OS upgrade.

Can someone offer me words of wisdom?

Re: Upgrading.....is it really that hard?

I don't know about "wisdom", but having run a number of successful Kubuntu upgrades, and never experienced a failure myself, I will offer an opinion. I think 90% (or more) of the reported failures are due to an impatient premature mouse-click. There are long periods, like 15 minutes on broadband cable, when you don't see anything happening. You need to just leave it alone -- just walk away and find something else to do for an hour or two.

Comment

to build on what dibl said above.it is always best todo an upgrade from the CLI interface, that way if something goes wrong you will get more info on what happened.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Remove the binary drivers: (like for Graphics cards) and reinstall after the upgrade (FGLRX bricked my X server during my last upgrade)
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

For me, I have had some good and some bad upgrades. I find it better to do a new install along side the current one so I can evaluate the latest version without endangering my current setup. Easier,faster, safer....

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X